Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité
Guelph Mercury fonds
Dénomination générale des documents
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
Niveau de description
CA ON00126 F45
Zone de l'édition
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
Zone des dates de production
[1960?] - [1999?] (Production)
Zone de description matérielle
ca. 45,000 photographs : negatives ca. 9,000 photographs : prints
Zone de la collection
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Zone de la description archivistique
Nom du producteur
The first edition of the Mercury (then the Wellington Mercury) appeared under the direction of George M. Keeling, ex-editor of the Advertiser, on September 17, 1853. For some time Guelph had three daily newspapers, including the Herald and the Advertiser, all of which, by 1924, had amalgamated into the Mercury. In 1862, James Innes, acting editor of the Advertiser, partnered with John C. McLagen and purchased the Mercury. The two bought a property at 77 Macdonell Street, east of Wyndham Street. The Mercury remained at this location until the 1950s when it moved to its present location at 8-14 Macdonell.
Under James Innes' direction, the paper changed from a weekly to daily distribution in July 1867. Innes sold his interest in the newspaper to J. McIntosh in 1905 and the paper expanded further in 1924 when McIntosh bought the competing Herald. He then sold out to James Playfair in 1929. Less than 20 years later, Thomson Newspapers Crop bought the Mercury where it remained until it was bought in 1995 by Hollinger Inc. and then in 1999 by Sun Media. As of 2004, the Guelph Mercury is owned by Torstar Corporation, and is part of a group called the Grand River Valley Newspapers. Although the Mercury existed in several forms before Confederation, the newspaper printed its last edition in January 2016.
Historique de la conservation
Prior to transfer to the Guelph Public Library, the Guelph Mercury had unbroken custody of these records.
Portée et contenu
Fonds consists primarily of photographic negatives and prints created by the Guelph Mercury in the course of its journalistic activities. In addition to images that appeared in the newspaper, this fonds includes other images that were taken for newspaper stories but were never actually used.
The photographs are arranged into 18 artificial series by subject. The Library of Congress Thesaurus for Graphic Materials serves as a basis for this arrangement.
Due to the size of this collection not all of the negatives have been described and or digitized.
Zone des notes
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Langue des documents
Écriture des documents
Localisation des originaux
Disponibilité d'autres formats
These records have not been fully processed and access to some images may be restricted during processing. Please contact the Guelph Public Library archivist for more details.
Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication
Donor-held copyright in these records has been transferred to the Guelph Public Library. Permission of the Guelph Public Library is required for publication.
Instruments de recherche
See series descriptions for more details on available listings for these records.