The Grimsby Historical Society (GHS) was founded in 1913 with the key objective of promoting interest in and study of matters of local historical interest. In 1999, the GHS Archives committee was established to organize and preserve the material collected by the GHS and make it accessible to the public. Since 1999, a dedicated group of volunteers have been collecting, managing, promoting and expanding the Archives collection.
The GHS Archives consists of 10 dedicated volunteers, including two of the founding volunteers, Dorothy Turcotte and Lyndsay Dobson. New volunteers are always welcome.
The collections held by the GHS Archives are a rich resource for the study of the history, places and people of Grimsby. The Archives maintains an expanding collection of books pertaining to items of regional interest. The selection of books is keeping with the GHS approach in its earliest works The Annals of the Forty. The Annals documents the patterns and times of generations of Loyalists and settlers as they located in Grimsby and the surrounding newly surveyed districts. The Annals are known as a “go-to” source for researchers.