Series TW 7 - Grace Hospital records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Grace Hospital records

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of series.

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA ON00343 TW fonds-TW 7

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1926-1936 (Creation)
    Creator
    Toronto Western Hospital. Grace Division
  • 1902-1926 (Creation)
    Creator
    Grace Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
  • 1893-1902 (Creation)
    Creator
    Grace Hospital (Homeopathic)
  • 1890-1936, 1985 (Accumulation)
    Accumulator
    Toronto Western Hospital
  • 1890-1893 (Creation)
    Creator
    Toronto Homeopathic Hospital
  • 1890-1926 (Accumulation)
    Accumulator
    Grace Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
  • 1890-1936 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

30.5 cm of textual records and photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1890-1893)

Administrative history

On January 17, 1890, the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital (also known as the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital and Free Dispensary Association) opened with 11 beds at the corner of Richmond and Duncan streets, later moving to Shuter and Jarvis Streets. In 1890 they also established a Training School for Nurses. The Toronto Homeopathic Hospital had been incorporated under the “Act respecting Benevolent, Provident and other Societies.” In their Constitution, the affairs of the Hospital were under the direction and control of a Board of Managers of at least 20 members of whom at least 12 were to be women. The Board of Managers (also known as the Board of Management) was to be elected annually. The first President of the Board was Sir Adam Wilson, followed by Judge J.E. McDougall in 1892.

The first homeopathic practitioners to be associated with the Hospital were: J. Adams, M.D.; D.J. Oliphant, M.D.; Wm. Howitt, M.D.; Jno. B. Hall, M.D.; Richard Hearn, M.D.; W.H. Oliphant, M.B.; Edward Adams, M.D.; W.J. Hunter Emory, M.D.; J.D. Tyrrell, M.D.; A.B. Eadie, M.D.; D. Ogden Jones, M.D.; J.N. Anderson, M.D.; Overton F. Macdonald, M.D.; Edward Hartley Robinson, M.D.

Name of creator

(1893-1902)

Administrative history

In 1893 the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital moved to Huron and College Streets and was incorporated by a special Act of the Ontario Legislature on April 26, 1893 under the new name of Grace Hospital (Homeopathic). The Act was assented to on May 27, 1893. According to the new Act of Incorporation there were to be five Trustees: Judge Joseph Easton McDougall, Frederic Roper, William Barclay McMurrich, John D. Nasmith, and Edward Gurney. The Trustees were to elect annually a Chairman from among them. There was also to be a Board of Management to assist with the work of the Hospital. The Board of Management was to consist of no more than 30 “ladies” appointed by the Trustees to assist in the “domestic needs of the Institution”. In December 1894 the By-Laws of the Hospital were amended such that the Chairman of the Board of Trustees became the ex-officio President of the Board of Management and the Board of Management now consisted of both men and women.

In 1899 several allopathic physicians were appointed to the Hospital but maintained separate services.

Judge J.E. McDougall served as Chairman of the Board.

Name of creator

(1902-1926)

Administrative history

In February 1902 an amended Act was passed changing the name of the Grace Hospital (Homeopathic) to Grace Hospital. This amended Act was assented to on March 17, 1902. In addition to the change in name, the Act to Amend the Act to Incorporate Grace Hospital (Homeopathic) indicated that the five Trustees of the Hospital could appoint up to an additional eight Trustees such that the Board would have a minimum of five and a maximum of 13 members. The Board of Trustees was now to be known as a Board of Governors. Judge J.E. McDougall continued as Chairman until his death in 1903. Edward Gurney succeeded him as Chairman.

In March 1926 Grace Hospital amalgamated with the Toronto Western Hospital.

Name of creator

(1926-1936)

Administrative history

The Grace Division of the Toronto Western Hospital was the result of the amalgamation of Grace Hospital with the Toronto Western Hospital In March 1926. In 1936 the activities at the Grace Division fully amalgamated on the property of the Toronto Western Hospital and the Grace Division was closed. At that point the name "Grace Hospital" was released for use by another institution.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series consists of records created or maintained by the Grace Hospital and its predecessor, the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital, and of miscellaneous photographs of Grace Hospital staff, buildings, and facilities.

The series is divided into six sub-series:
TW 7-1 Annual Reports
TW 7-2 Treasurer's accounts journal and correspondence
TW 7-3 Women's Auxiliary records
TW 7-4 Grace Hospital Training School For Nurses records
TW 7-5 Photographs
TW 7-6 History

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to records in this series is not restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Sub-series descriptions and file lists available.

Associated materials

Associated material, Homoeopathic messenger [microform] : in connection with Grace Hospital. -- Toronto : [s.n., 1894-1897], can be found in the National Library Collection, CIHM/ICMH Microfiche series no. P05205 at Library and Archives Canada, Serials Stks - SMC-601-CIHM PO5205 - Copy 2 - 1-4no.6 1896-97.

For additional photographs of Grace Hospital staff, buildings and student nurses see Series 11, sub-series 11-6: School of Nursing Photographic Exhibit.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network Archives

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Last updated: February 2, 2015. Added to Archeion February 2, 2015.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres