Title and statement of responsibility area
Grace Hospital ephemera collection
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of collection.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Grace Hospital (Toronto, Ont.)
- Grace Hospital (Toronto, Ont.). Training School for Nurses
Physical description area
1 photograph : b&w ; 34 cm x 51 cm
1 nursing pin
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In February 1902 an amended Act was passed changing the name of the Grace Hospital (Homeopathic) to Grace Hospital. This amended Act was assented to on March 17, 1902. In addition to the change in name, the Act to Amend the Act to Incorporate Grace Hospital (Homeopathic) indicated that the five Trustees of the Hospital could appoint up to an additional eight Trustees such that the Board would have a minimum of five and a maximum of 13 members. The Board of Trustees was now to be known as a Board of Governors. Judge J.E. McDougall continued as Chairman until his death in 1903. Edward Gurney succeeded him as Chairman.
In March 1926 Grace Hospital amalgamated with the Toronto Western Hospital.
Name of creator
The Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses originated as the Training School for Nurses for the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital in 1890. In 1936 the process of amalgamation linking Grace Hospital with the Toronto Western Hospital (TWH) was completed and the TWH School of Nursing subsumed the functions of the Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses.
Miss Georgie L. Rowan served as Director of the Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses 1911-1936. Following the dissolution of both Grace Hospital and the Training School for Nurses in 1936, Miss Rowan became Supervisor of Nursing for the Private Patients Pavilion of the TWH until retiring in 1943.
Scope and content
The Grace Hospital ephemera collection is an assembly of material in various formats that have been accumulated by the UHN Archives from a variety of disparate sources including, but not limited to, family members of former staff or students, other repositories, or anonymous donations. Collection consists of photographs and objects. Material in the collection relates to the history of the Grace Hospital and its predecessor, the Toronto Homeopathic Hospital, and its staff or students including the Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses. Material is arranged by accession. No particular order has been imposed by the Archivist.
File 1 contains a 1912 graduation photograph from Grace Hospital Training School for Nurses. File 2 contains the nursing graduation pin for Bernice Marie Charters.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. No restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list is available.
Related records may be found in the Toronto Western Hospital fonds.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
- Grace Hospital (Toronto, Ont.) (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
University Health Network Archives
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Last updated: July 31, 2012. Added to Archeion July 31, 2012.
Language of description