Fonds CONG-457 - Gordon Presbyterian Church (St. Elmo, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Gordon Presbyterian Church (St. Elmo, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-457

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1989 and microfilmed 1991 (originally created 1853-1991) (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records 1 reel of microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The congregation of Gordon Presbyterian Church in St. Elmo, Ontario traces its origins to c.1826 when the Presbyterian settlers in the area then known as the Indian Lands community began construction of a frame church in the 17th Concession. The first minister to conduct services in the church was the Rev. Archibald Connel, the minister in Martintown. In 1838, the Rev. Daniel Clark of Inverness, Scotland, arrived and served as missionary to the area for a year, before accepting a call as minister. In 1844, Rev. Clark and many of the families in the Indian Lands community broke away from the Presbyterian Church of Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland and joined the Free Presbyterian Church. Disputes over ownership of the church and manse between the two groups continued until 1860 when it was given to the group in connection with the Church of Scotland. As a result the "Free Church" Presbyterians along with the minister, Rev. Daniel Gordon (who replaced Rev. Clark in 1853), began construction of a new church on the19th Concession. This was opened in 1864. The name of this community at the 19th Concession became known as St. Elmo in the early 1880s, and the church became known as the "Gordon Church". At the time of Church Union in 1925, the congregation of the Gordon Church, St. Elmo, voted to remain with The Presbyterian Church in Canada.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minutes, registers and other records of Gordon Presbyterian Church in St. Elmo, Ontario. On microfilm: Baptisms (1875-1990); Marriages (1858-1898, 1903-1960); Session minutes (1853-1991); Communion Rolls (1876-1990, with gaps); and annual meeting minutes (1865-1898). Also included is an Order of Service on the 100th anniversary of the induction of Rev. Daniel Clark.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Session minutes are restricted for a period of 50 years from the date they were written.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000S at The Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres