Fonds - Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1938-1948 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Fernleigh Women’s Institute was founded on December 10, 1938 with Mrs. Percy Lyons as the first President. Although part of the Frontenac District, these minute books were donated with the Cloyne Women’s Institute materials of Addington District Women’s Institute. Unfortunately, our access to information on this branch is limited to the minute books from the branch’s first ten years. However, Fernleigh branch was very active during its first ten years, especially regarding war work. Preparing and donating quilts was a constant activity for the members of Fernleigh Women’s Institute. They also held food sales and dances to raise funds. Due to low membership and lack of funds, this branch could not afford to host “Short Courses”. The members were not deterred; instead they sent a representative to another branch’s “Short Course”, who was then able to report back to the group, demonstrating an economical way to spread new skills. Beyond fundraising, Fernleigh branch was highly involved in community activities and helped to support many local people. Some of their contributions included hosting a display at the Kingston Fair, cleaning the Methodist Church cemetery, and helping to pay a resident’s doctor bills. In the 1930s, the branch sent a request to the Department of Highways for sign boards to post near the school. Like many other Women’s Institute branches, Fernleigh was highly involved in war work during World War II, greatly contributing to the Red Cross through donations of handmade projects. They also donated to the sugar fund and made boxes for local boys serving overseas at Christmas time. One Christmas, each member made and filled a ditty bag to be sent overseas. The local school was supported by the Fernleigh branch. They donated First Aid kits and supplies and rewarded best practices with war savings stamps for the best pupil in spelling each month. They also supported C.N.I.B., National Women’s Institute Emergency Fund, Kinsmen Fund for Milk to British Children, Adelaide Hoodless Foundation Fund, and donated to Achievement Day for local 4-H Clubs. Providing reading materials for the branch members was highly valued within this group. They often requested materials from the travelling library, and sent donations to the Toronto Public Library in order to receive some of their discarded materials. Some of the past Women’s Institute Presidents of Fernleigh were: Mrs. Percy Lyons (1938-1940; 1942-1943), Mrs. Charles (Doreen) Flieler (1940-1941), Mrs. Clinton (Gladys) Armstrong (1941-1942; 1943-1944), Mrs. Arthur (Roxie) Bauder (1943; 1946-1947), Mrs. Charles Wood (1944-1945), Mrs. Charles Martin (1945-1946), and Mrs. Melvin White (1947-1948).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minute and cash books pertaining to the activities of the Fernleigh Women’s Institute. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records of the Fernleigh Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives on May 11, 1983. These records were accessioned in 2009. Loaned to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives with the following accession numbers: 2009.99.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available

Associated materials

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds Bay View Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Leaf Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres