Title and statement of responsibility area
F.B. Carron fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1907-[199-], predominant 1914-1919 (Creation)
Physical description area
4 cm of textual records 14 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Dr. Frederick Burke Carron was born in Belleville, Ontario on November 3, 1870. He graduated from medicine at McGill University in 1896. Following graduation, he spent a year as an assistant surgeon at the Royal Victoria Hospital under the direction of Dr. James Bell. Eager to continue his studies, Carron traveled to England to pursue post-graduate work. He received degrees as a Member of the Royal College of Physicians of London. During the Boer War, he enlisted in the Duke of Wellington’s 3rd West Riding Regiment. After the Boer War, and some extended traveling in Europe, Carron returned to Belleville and established a private practice. With World War I underway, he enlisted for active service with the Canadian Army Medical Corps. He served for a short time as medical officer to the 39th Battalion stationed in Belleville. From there he was appointed inspector of military hospitals in the Shorncliffe and Kent area in England. In September 1916 he was promoted to deputy assistant director of medical services for the Shorncliffe area. After numerous requests, on August 22, 1917, Carron was granted a transfer and made medical officer in charge of the 2nd Canadian Divisional Engineers. He accompanied his division to Passendale, Amiens, Arras and Cabrie. In 1918 Carron was called back to England to re-enter hospital work. On December 25, 1918, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel and was appointed second in command of one of the largest Canadian special hospitals in England, Monk’s Horton near Folkstone. Dr. Carron returned to Canada in 1919 and resumed his private practice in Belleville until his death in August 1935.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of four series: correspondence, photographs, hospital inspection records and scrapbook.
Immediate source of acquisition
The fonds (28-2002) was purchased from The Alexander Gallery in August 2002.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals expected.
Title taken from creator of fonds.