Fonds - F.B. Carron fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

F.B. Carron fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1907-[199-], predominant 1914-1919 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records 14 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Dr. Frederick Burke Carron was born in Belleville, Ontario on November 3, 1870. He graduated from medicine at McGill University in 1896. Following graduation, he spent a year as an assistant surgeon at the Royal Victoria Hospital under the direction of Dr. James Bell. Eager to continue his studies, Carron traveled to England to pursue post-graduate work. He received degrees as a Member of the Royal College of Physicians of London. During the Boer War, he enlisted in the Duke of Wellington’s 3rd West Riding Regiment. After the Boer War, and some extended traveling in Europe, Carron returned to Belleville and established a private practice. With World War I underway, he enlisted for active service with the Canadian Army Medical Corps. He served for a short time as medical officer to the 39th Battalion stationed in Belleville. From there he was appointed inspector of military hospitals in the Shorncliffe and Kent area in England. In September 1916 he was promoted to deputy assistant director of medical services for the Shorncliffe area. After numerous requests, on August 22, 1917, Carron was granted a transfer and made medical officer in charge of the 2nd Canadian Divisional Engineers. He accompanied his division to Passendale, Amiens, Arras and Cabrie. In 1918 Carron was called back to England to re-enter hospital work. On December 25, 1918, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel and was appointed second in command of one of the largest Canadian special hospitals in England, Monk’s Horton near Folkstone. Dr. Carron returned to Canada in 1919 and resumed his private practice in Belleville until his death in August 1935.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of four series: correspondence, photographs, hospital inspection records and scrapbook.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The fonds (28-2002) was purchased from The Alexander Gallery in August 2002.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

General note

Title taken from creator of fonds.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres