Fondos 2009A004 - Elmira Public Library fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

Elmira Public Library fonds

Tipo general de material

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Institución archivística

Código de referencia

CA ON00247 2009A004

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1888-2008, predominant 1888-1988 (Criação)
    Creador
    Elmira Public Library

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

2.02 m of textual records, 26 volumes, 13 plans, 4 drawings, 2 posters, 14 printing plates, 74 photographs, 34 negatives, 14 objects, 43 CDs (ca. 1 terabyte), 41 audio cassettes

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

Historia administrativa

The Elmira Public Library began in April 1886, when several men from Elmira and the surrounding area gathered in Karl Klinck's Hall. The men brought together their books to start a library collection under the name of the Germania Society.

On January 24, 1888, a meeting was held to organize a Mechanics' Institute in Elmira. George Klinck, President of the Germania Society, offered the Society's library to the Institute along with use of the Hall. The Institute agreed to Georgeâs offer, and Klinck's Hall became the home of the Elmira Mechanics' Institute from 1888 to 1893.

The Mechanics' Institute was moved in October 1893 to the Elmira House, later known as Dunke's Block, located at the corner of Arthur and Church Streets. On September 6, 1895, the Institute changed its name to the Elmira Public Library.

By 1910, the Library had grown too large for the two rooms it rented. The Board began to think about building a library and submitted a request to Andrew Carnegie for a library grant. The new Library was officially opened on December 26, 1913.

In 1967, the Elmira Library became a branch of the Waterloo County Library. In 1973, there was another change when Waterloo County was restructured to form the Regional Municipality of Waterloo. The Waterloo County Library became known as the Region of Waterloo Library.

Nombre del productor

Historia administrativa

Nombre del productor

Nombre del productor

Historial de custodia

Originally the records were stored in five drawers of a filing cabinet in the staff room at the Elmira Branch of the Region of Waterloo Library. They were inventoried and removed to the Region of Waterloo Library Headquarters.

Alcance y contenido

The fonds consists of records from the Elmira Mechanic’s Institute, Elmira Public Library, Elmira Branch of the County of Waterloo Library and Elmira Branch of the Region of Waterloo Library. These records document the activities of the different forms of the Library from 1888 until 1988. The records were created by the Elmira Mechanic’s Institute Board, Elmira Public Library Board and librarians. The records consist of minute books, cash books, reports, membership lists, roll and record books, accession books, letters, notes, invitations, receipts, posters, printing plates, newspaper clippings, plans, drawings, specifications, library cards, book bags, photographs and negatives. The fonds is arranged into 9 series.

Fonds is comprised of the following series: Library Board minutes, 1888-1956; Financial records, 1915-1942; Reports, 1918-1974; Membership, 1888-1968; Accession books, 1908-1969; Building and ground plans, 1910-1995; Library history, 1912-2008; Artifacts, 1967-2008, Oral histories, 1974-1983.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Fonds acquired from creator in February 2009.

Arreglo

Idioma del material

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Some records are restricted under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Please consult the Archivist regarding access to these records.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Researchers are responsible for observing the terms of the Canadian Copyright Act. Permission of the Region of Waterloo Archives is required for any form of publication or exhibition.

Materiales asociados

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

Further accruals are not expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Idioma de descripción

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados