Fonds 2009A004 - Elmira Public Library fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Elmira Public Library fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00247 2009A004

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-2008, predominant 1888-1988 (Creation)
    Creator
    Elmira Public Library

Physical description area

Physical description

2.02 m of textual records, 26 volumes, 13 plans, 4 drawings, 2 posters, 14 printing plates, 74 photographs, 34 negatives, 14 objects, 43 CDs (ca. 1 terabyte), 41 audio cassettes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Elmira Public Library began in April 1886, when several men from Elmira and the surrounding area gathered in Karl Klinck's Hall. The men brought together their books to start a library collection under the name of the Germania Society.

On January 24, 1888, a meeting was held to organize a Mechanics' Institute in Elmira. George Klinck, President of the Germania Society, offered the Society's library to the Institute along with use of the Hall. The Institute agreed to Georgeâs offer, and Klinck's Hall became the home of the Elmira Mechanics' Institute from 1888 to 1893.

The Mechanics' Institute was moved in October 1893 to the Elmira House, later known as Dunke's Block, located at the corner of Arthur and Church Streets. On September 6, 1895, the Institute changed its name to the Elmira Public Library.

By 1910, the Library had grown too large for the two rooms it rented. The Board began to think about building a library and submitted a request to Andrew Carnegie for a library grant. The new Library was officially opened on December 26, 1913.

In 1967, the Elmira Library became a branch of the Waterloo County Library. In 1973, there was another change when Waterloo County was restructured to form the Regional Municipality of Waterloo. The Waterloo County Library became known as the Region of Waterloo Library.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Originally the records were stored in five drawers of a filing cabinet in the staff room at the Elmira Branch of the Region of Waterloo Library. They were inventoried and removed to the Region of Waterloo Library Headquarters.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records from the Elmira Mechanic’s Institute, Elmira Public Library, Elmira Branch of the County of Waterloo Library and Elmira Branch of the Region of Waterloo Library. These records document the activities of the different forms of the Library from 1888 until 1988. The records were created by the Elmira Mechanic’s Institute Board, Elmira Public Library Board and librarians. The records consist of minute books, cash books, reports, membership lists, roll and record books, accession books, letters, notes, invitations, receipts, posters, printing plates, newspaper clippings, plans, drawings, specifications, library cards, book bags, photographs and negatives. The fonds is arranged into 9 series.

Fonds is comprised of the following series: Library Board minutes, 1888-1956; Financial records, 1915-1942; Reports, 1918-1974; Membership, 1888-1968; Accession books, 1908-1969; Building and ground plans, 1910-1995; Library history, 1912-2008; Artifacts, 1967-2008, Oral histories, 1974-1983.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Fonds acquired from creator in February 2009.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some records are restricted under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Please consult the Archivist regarding access to these records.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Researchers are responsible for observing the terms of the Canadian Copyright Act. Permission of the Region of Waterloo Archives is required for any form of publication or exhibition.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are not expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres