Fonds MG 22 - Elder's Mills Women's Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Elder's Mills Women's Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00373 MG 22

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1949-1987 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

25 cm of textual records (10 v.)
1 microfilm reel : ill ; 35 mm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Elder's Mills Women's Institute was founded in 1949. Among its many and varied efforts to foster a sense of community and to better and enrich the lives of community members were philanthropic and charitable activities, and the compilation of the Elder's Mills Tweedsmuir history. The organization disbanded at the end of 2010.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The Elder's Mills Women's Institute fonds is composed of minute books of the agency for the period 1949 to 1987, and a microfilm copy of the community Tweedsmuir history, microfilmed in 1984. The institute minutes include integral financial statements noting receipts and disbursements, as well as lists of officers and directors, and attendance registers. The Tweedsmuir history is composed of eight topical elements: mills, including the origin of the place name Elder's Mills, family histories and biographies, photographs, maps of original land owners, and First Nations history; the Elder's Mill's Women's Institute, including organizational history, personal histories of membership, membership lists, etc. ; churches; schools, including Elder's Mills (School Section #15), Vaughan School (Lower Ninth) (School Section 13), Mackenzie Senior Public School, and a brief history of schools in the western half of Vaughan; roads and fences; farms, from the 7th to the 9th concession, community organizations; and services, including the Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Company, Woodbridger Hydro-Electric Power Commission, Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway; also included is a roll of Elder's Mills residents who served in His Majesty's Forces in World War I.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift of Elder's Mills Women's Institute, 1993, 1996, and 2011.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

None

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Original Tweedsmuir history remains in custody of Elder's Mills Women's Institute.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area