Fondos F 4620 - Edward Lye and Sons Organ Company fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

Edward Lye and Sons Organ Company fonds

Tipo general de material

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Institución archivística

Código de referencia

CA ON00009 F 4620

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1881-1994 (Criação)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

42 centimetres of textual records (includes 2 photographs)

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1864-1982)

Historia administrativa

The Edward Lye & Sons Organ Company was a family-owned business based in Toronto that manufactured, installed, and refurbished pipe organs across Canada from 1864 to 1982.

Edward Roome Lye (1829-1919) was born in Crewkerne, Somerset, England and, at age 14, was apprenticed under his father, a cabinet maker. Around 1840, his family moved to St. Helier on the Channel Island of Jersey where Lye began training with a local organ builder and married Rachel Mary Steen LaMatre (1829-1908).

Edward Lye moved to London to work for a number of English organ building firms before emigrating shortly afterward in 1856 to Toronto along with a number of his immediate relations, including his newborn son, Edward John. Working as a joiner and cabinet maker with a variety of furniture manufacturers, predominantly the prestigious firm of Jacques and Hay, Lye also operated a part-time business as an organ refurbisher in 1863 and, the next year, established the firm of Edward Lye and Sons Organ Company, making the company the second oldest family organ business after Casavant Frères. In 1867, he began working full-time as an organ builder at a number of locations in downtown Toronto before establishing his home and factory at 18-22 St. Alban Street (now the northwest corner of Nicholas and Wellesley West Streets). By now, the Lye household consisted of eight children; four of his seven sons (Arthur H, Edward J, Herbert H, and Walter J.) joined him in the family business while a fifth (John G.) became their bookkeeper. By 1873, the firm had a sales showroom at 195 Yonge Street (just north of the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre Centre) where they became known for their dual manual, tracker-action organs.

The number of organs built by the family is unknown as only 223 contracts survive for the 1881-1948 period but over 60 were erected in Toronto alone. Hundreds of instruments were installed across Ontario and as far afield as Fortune, Newfoundland and Port Simpson, British Columbia. Some of the more notable organs were built in the Anglican cathedrals in Sault Ste-Marie (1901) and Kenora (1917?), Belleville's Albert College (1901), and Toronto's Trinity College Chapel (1884), Toronto Conservatory of Music (1889), and Bishop Strachan School (1900). Dozens of Lye's original or rebuilt instruments remain in regular use across the province.

After their father's death in 1919, the sons carried on the business but, by the Depression, only Arthur and Walter Lye remained active in it. A lack of orders and financial difficulties forced the firm to switch to producing electro-pneumatic organs in 1930, then to cease manufacturing in 1934 and close shortly afterward. Walter Lye and his son, William, reorganized and open as the Lye Organ Company, and were joined shortly afterwards by William's brothers, Norman and Murray Lye. With the sale of the St. Alban Street property, they re-located the factory and craftsmen to 276 Main Street at the corner of Stephenson Avenue in Toronto's east end.

The coming of World War II was another setback for the company. Orders for new organs grew meagre; supplies of wood, metal, and fine veneers were severely rationed; and several of the staff, including Murray Lye, went into the armed forces. For the duration, the company focused on servicing and refurbishing existing organs. In 1944, the firm relocated further east to Markham Road as the Lye Organ and Piano Studio. The building used is now the 1858 Cornell House which has been relocated to Scarborough's Thompson Memorial Park at Brimley Road and Lawrence Avenue East.

After the war, with the growing shortage of skilled craftsmen and the switch to electronic organs, the last Lye pipe organ was built in 1954 for the United Church in Locust Hill, Ontario. The firm became agents for the Baldwin Piano and Organ Company while William Lye continued repairing and reconditioning organs until his retirement in 1982 at age 71.

The Lye family enriched Toronto's musical scene in many other ways. Edward Sr. rang the tower chimes at St James' Cathedral during 1867-1891, as did his son, Walter (1888-1958) and grandson, Murray (1958-1959) with each generation ringing in the New Year over 96 years. Edward Jr. sang in the Holy Trinity Church choir while Arthur assisted on the organ, as well as playing inaugural concerts on the firm's newest creations. Herbert was a member of the Arlidge Flute Quartet, the Toronto Flute Club, and the Imperial Concert Band, as well as playing the bells at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church.

Historial de custodia

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consists of the surviving records of the Edward Lye and Sons Organ Company, as well as research materials about the Lye family that were recorded or accumulated by the late Lieutenant-Colonel Christopher C. Conliffe of Ottawa, Ontario, while working on his Masters thesis about the firm.

The fonds includes personal and family records of the founder, business correspondence, equipment specifications and instrument layouts for organs, and contracts. The fonds also includes research materials of and thesis drafts by Lieut.-Col. Christopher C. Conliffe.

For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database: http://ao.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/PROV/PROV/REFD+F+4620?SESSIONSEARCH

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

These records were transferred to the Archives of Ontario in March 2010 by Rosemary Conliffe.

Arreglo

Idioma del material

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

No restrictions on access.

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Copyright has been transferred to the Archives of Ontario by the donor, insofar as the donor is the copyright owner of the donated materials. Series also contains material owned by various other copyright owners. To find out more about the copyright status of the particular material you wish to use, consult a Reference Archivist through the Reference Desk. There are no restrictions on reproduction for research and private study. If you wish to use these records for purposes other than for research and private study, please submit a Request for Permission to Publish, Exhibit or Broadcast form.

Instrumentos de descripción

For a more detailed description, use this link to the Archives of Ontario's descriptive database: http://ao.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/PROV/PROV/REFD+F+4620?SESSIONSEARCH

Materiales asociados

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

No further accruals are expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Added Apr/12.

Idioma de descripción

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados