Fonds MG 17 - Edgeley Women's Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Edgeley Women's Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00373 MG 17

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1861-1993 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

50 cm of textual records
152 photographs : most b&w ; 13 x 21.5 or smaller

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Established in 1913, the Edgeley Women's Institute is one of a number of local branches of the Ontario Women's Institute. The Edgeley Women's Institute was formally disbanded in 1993. Throughout its existence the institute had sought to foster a sense of community through a variety of activities, ranging from the compilation of the local Tweedsmuir History, to charitable and philanthropic work.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds is constituted of minute books, 1913-1993 (1926-1937 volume is missing) delineating the deliberations, decisions, and activities of the Edgeley Women's Institute; minute books also include lists of officers and directors, attendance records of members, and cash book entries and general financial statements. Also included is one separate cash book, 1988-1993; programmes, 1921-1981; and the Edgeley Tweedsmuir History, which in addition to a history of the Edgeley area from 1792 includes a list of guest speakers that addressed the institute, biographies of certain members, lists of officers and members who held offices at the district and provincial level. There are also notes and draft chapters for the Tweedsmuir History, as well as a manual for the latter's compilation issued by the Ontario Women's Institute, and a number of original documents collected as research material for the history. The fonds also includes a photograph series constituted of two aggregates. The first focuses on the membership and activities of the Edgeley Women's Institute. The second consists of historic photographs relating to Edgeley. Some notable images include the Edgeley School with pupils assembled in front, 1888, a turn-of-the-century barn raising, a steam tractor converted to power a circular saw, 1900, and the interior of a typical 1920's farmhouse.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Gift of Edgeley Women's Institute.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

None

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area