Title and statement of responsibility area
Dr. M.S. Hawkins Senior Public School Collection
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Dr. M.S. Hawkins Senior Public School
- Port Hope, Municipality of
Physical description area
0.5m textual records; 3 architectural drawings; 35 photographs ; artifacts
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
According to Dr. M.S. Hawkins' School History: The Ontario Legislature changed Grammar School to High School and Common School to Public School in 1871. Because the public school was free, the new public school became crowded and the High School moved out. Thomas Watson became principal of the public school and in 1883 a new wing was added making 11 classrooms.
The High School moved to the "old Kirk" building on Brown Street in 1873. Here there were three teachers - four forms - 50 boys and 32 girls. Dr. Purslow was headmaster. It was moved from the "old Kirk" to the northwest corner of Brown & Bedford Streets in 1896 and from there to a newly built high school on the corner of Pine & Bedford Streets, which cost $12,000. It was officially opened by the Hon. G. W. Ross, Minister of Education on 11 Jan 1897.
A new high school was built in 1955 and the old one was converted into Dr. M.S. Hawkins Senior Public School (a Junior High School for grades 7 & 8). In 1960, six classrooms were added.
Dr. Morgan Stanford Hawkins (1876-1960) was elected to the Board of Public School Trustees in 1924 and served on the board until 1947. In his honour the former Port Hope High School was renamed and dedicated as the "Dr. M.S. Hawkins School" on 24 Nov 1957.
Donation came from an unknown source in 2002. It was taken in by M. McClasky; and accessioned in 2011.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of papers, architectural drawings and photographs from Dr. M.S. Hawkins Senior Public School, c. 1900-1997. It has been divided into 6 series': (1) Photographs; (2) Building & Planning; (3) Dr. Hawkins School Library; (4) Dr. Hawkins School Administration; (5) Artifacts; (6) Port Hope Model School.