Fonds KGH 5999-1012 - Donald Millar MacIntyre fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Donald Millar MacIntyre fonds

General material designation

    Parallel title

    Other title information

    Title statements of responsibility

    Title notes

    Level of description

    Fonds

    Reference code

    CA ON00153 KGH 5999-1012

    Edition area

    Edition statement

    Edition statement of responsibility

    Class of material specific details area

    Statement of scale (cartographic)

    Statement of projection (cartographic)

    Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

    Statement of scale (architectural)

    Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

    Dates of creation area

    Date(s)

    • 1957-2000, predominant 1957-1972 (Creation)

    Physical description area

    Physical description

    0.64 m of textual records

    Publisher's series area

    Title proper of publisher's series

    Parallel titles of publisher's series

    Other title information of publisher's series

    Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

    Numbering within publisher's series

    Note on publisher's series

    Archival description area

    Name of creator

    Biographical history

    Donald Millar MacIntyre, 1910-2000, was Superintendent of Kingston General Hospital from 1958 until 1972. Born in South Mountain, Ontario in 1910, his family moved to Biggar, Saskatchewan. MacIntyre attended Normal School in Saskatoon and began his teaching career in rural Saskatchewan while studying part-time for his B.A. from the University of Saskatchewan. In 1939, MacIntyre joined the armed forces and worked in various administrative positions within Canada. Following the war, MacIntyre completed a degree in Public Administration at the University of Western Ontario and a Diploma in Hospital Administration from the University of Toronto where he became an Associate Professor. In 1955, MacIntyre relocated to Kitimat, British Columbia to work as hospital administrator for the Aluminum Company of Canada. In 1956, when Fraser Armstrong submitted his resignation as Superintendent of Kingston General Hospital after over thirty years of service, the Board of Governors selected MacIntyre as his replacement; he assumed his position on January 1, 1958 at a critical point in the Hospital’s history. Nationally and provincially, provision of healthcare was undergoing significant changes in funding and organization; MacIntyre’s administrative skills and strengths in public relations were needed to face the challenge. Ontario joined the federal initiative toward nationwide hospital insurance in January, 1959; MacIntyre needed to ensure that the Hospital complied not only with the provisions of the Ontario Hospital Act but also with the procedures prescribed by the Ontario Hospital Services Commission. The new accountability necessitated major changes in budgeting and accounting, generating additional paperwork. Although the main operating costs of the Hospital were met by government funds under the Hospital Act, no capital grants were made for new equipment. Then, effective April 1, 1966, Ontario enacted a Medical Services Insurance Plan to make health care available to all citizens. As a result of all these changes, Kingston General Hospital faced increasing demands as a centre of patient care, teaching and clinical research. Under MacIntyre’s leadership, in 1958 the Hospital engaged a consultant, Agnew, Peckham and Associates, to prepare a long-range plan for the Hospital. Improved hospital-university relations and administrative reorganization were among the recommendations made in the 1960 report. In 1967, the Board of Governors approved the changing of the Administrative titles in the hospital; MacIntyre’s title changed from Superintendent to Executive Director and two other top administrative positions were created: Associate Director (Administration) and Associate Director (Medical). Another Agnew, Peckham study, completed in 1962, surveyed the various medical teaching activities in the hospital and recommended the establishment of Clinical Teaching Units, an issue requiring better university-hospital cooperation. By 1965, both Queen’s University and KGH were prepared to join forces to ensure optimum funding for their common goals. The development of a Health Sciences Complex to house the Kingston General Hospital and the Queen’s Medical Faculty was a lengthy process spearheaded, ultimately, by a regional planning group, the Queen’s University and Affiliated Hospitals Council (QUAFHOP) in 1969. A partnership agreement was reached in 1972 and work on the complex began. Donald MacIntyre, who had been heavily involved in negotiations and long-term planning for the Health Sciences Complex, stepped down as Executive Director in June 1972 to serve for three years as Vice President, Planning. When he left KGH in 1975, he was praised for his administrative tenacity while garnering support from employees, volunteers, patients and the community. Upon retirement in 1972, MacIntyre continued to work as a consultant and was employed as a part-time faculty member in the School of Health Administration at the University of Ottawa. Donald Millar MacIntyre died on November 18, 2000 at the age of 90.

    Name of creator

    Administrative history

    Kingston General Hospital has been designated by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board to be of national historic significance as one of the longest continuously operating hospitals in Canada. The collection documents the transition of the hospital from a charitable institution to an active treatment hospital to a tertiary care institution in the Southeastern Ontario Health Sciences Centre. Kingston General Hospital is also historically significant for it's role as a temporary Parliament Building for the capital of the United Provinces of Upper and Lower Canada from 1841-1843.

    Custodial history

    Scope and content

    Fonds provides a record of the professional activities of Donald M. MacIntyre at Kingston General Hospital in his role as hospital administrator and includes: correspondence, minutes, reports, 1 newspaper clipping and printed material. Fonds is comprised of the following series: 1: Superintendent - Kingston General Hospital, 1957-1979 2: Hospital Committees, 1957-1967 3: Correspondence, 1958-1965 4: Associations, 1963-1971 5: Personal material, 1975, 2000

    Notes area

    Physical condition

    Immediate source of acquisition

    Arrangement

    Language of material

      Script of material

        Location of originals

        Availability of other formats

        Restrictions on access

        Open to researchers subject to the requirements of the Hospital’s Administrative Health Research Policy and Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA).

        Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

        Copyright provisions and access conditions may apply. Please contact a Hospital Archivist.

        Finding aids

        Yes.

        Associated materials

        Related materials

        Accruals

        Alternative identifier(s)

        Standard number

        Standard number

        Access points

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Name access points

        Genre access points

        Control area

        Description record identifier

        Institution identifier

        Rules or conventions

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Language of description

          Script of description

            Sources

            Accession area