Title and statement of responsibility area
Division of Neurosurgery records
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on contents of series.
Level of description
CA ON00343 TG fonds-TG 22
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- The Toronto Hospital. Division of Neurosurgery
- Morley, T. P. (Thomas P.)
- Morley, T. P. (Thomas P.)
- Toronto General Hospital. Division of Neurosurgery
Physical description area
14 cm of textual records
1 audio cassette
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Neurosurgery was established as a division of the TGH Department of Surgery in 1924 when Dr. Kenneth G. McKenzie was appointed to the TGH medical staff as Canada’s first dedicated neurosurgeon. In 1988 the Division became part of The Toronto Hospital Division of Neurosurgery. The Division was physically dissolved in 1990 and was subsumed as part of The Toronto Hospital Department of Neurosurgery at the Toronto Western Division.
The Division grew steadily during the 1920s and in 1930 Janet MacMillan was appointed as the first OR nurse dedicated to neurosurgery, while Dr. W.S. Keith became the first neurosurgical resident. In 1936 Dr. McKenzie’s application for an operating room for the exclusive use of the Division of Neurosurgery was granted by the Board of Trustees. It was built at basement level on the south side of the main building (later called the College Wing) beneath Ward D, and was therefore known as “D” OR. At the same time as this dedicated neurosurgical OR was established at TGH, Dr. E. Harry Botterell was appointed to the medical staff as junior neurosurgeon. A second operating room was added in 1951 with adjoining office for Mrs. Anne Pyke, the divisional secretary.
In 1952 Dr. McKenzie retired as Head of the Division and was succeeded as Head by Dr. Botterell, who developed a special interest in cerebrovascular surgery and especially the treatment of cerebral aneurysms. Dr. McKenzie died February 11, 1964. Neuroradiology was established as a specialty in the neurosurgical service in 1945 when Dr. Douglas C. Eaglesham was appointed as neuroradiological specialist. Dr. Eaglesham was succeeded by Dr. Delbert C. Wollin (1948-1959) and Dr. George Wortzmann (1959-?).
The neurosurgical residency program established in 1930 trained dozens of neurosurgeons: “neurosurgical trainees were Assistant Residents for 6 months followed by usually 18 months in the Chief Resident position. The Chiefs continued until they were felt by Drs. McKenzie and Botterell to be competent neurosurgeons.”
The new neurosurgical unit at the TGH, located in the Center Block building (now the Norman Urquhart Wing), was occupied in 1957 and officially opened November 8, 1958. In [1957?] Jessie Young was appointed Head Nurse in the neurosurgical unit.
In 1952 Dr. Thomas P. Morley was appointed junior neurosurgeon. When Dr. Botterell left TGH in 1962 to become Dean of Medicine at Queen’s University, Dr. Morley became Head of the Division of Neurosurgery, and then in 1964 was appointed Chairman and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Toronto. Dr. Morley was instrumental in expanding the neurosurgical residency program and in developing the specialization of tumor surgery.
Another prominent figure associated with the TGH Division of Neurosurgery is Dr. Alan Hudson. Dr. Hudson was Dr. Morley’s Chief Resident in 1970 and went on to become Neurosurgeon-in-Chief at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto in 1977; Professor and Chairman of Neurosurgery at the University of Toronto 1979-1989; TTH Surgeon-in-Chief 1989-1991; and TTH President and CEO 1991-1999.
In 1978 the Playfair Neurosciences Unit was opened at the Toronto Western Hospital. In 1979 Dr. Morley retired as Head of the Division of Neurosurgery and was succeeded by Dr. Ronald Tasker. In 1982 the neurosurgical service at TGH was moved from the Norman Urquhart Wing to the Eaton Wing. In 1988 the TGH and TWH neurosurgical divisions merged to form The Toronto Hospital Division of Neurosurgery, headed by Dr. Charles Tator. Finally, in June 1990, came the physical consolidation of TTH Division of Neurosurgery at the Toronto Western Division and the closure of all neurosurgical facilities and services at the Toronto General Division.
Name of creator
In 1988 the Toronto General Hospital and Toronto Western Hospital neurosurgical divisions merged to form The Toronto Hospital Division of Neurosurgery, headed by Dr. Charles Tator. In June 1990 came the physical consolidation of The Toronto Hospital Division of Neurosurgery at the Toronto Western Division and the closure of all neurosurgical facilities and services at the Toronto General Division.
The Division of Neurosurgery was part of the Clinical Practice Grouping (C.P.G.) for Neurosciences which also included Neurology, Opthalmology, Otolaryngology and Dentistry. The C.P.G. Neurosciences became the Neurosciences Priority Program (or Program Grouping) in 1991-92.
Name of creator
Dr. T.P. Morley was born in Manchester, England in on June 13, 1920 and later emigrated to Toronto, Canada.
In 1952 Dr. Morley was appointed junior neurosurgeon at Toronto General Hospital. In 1962 he became Head of the Division of Neurosurgery (Neurosurgeon-in-Chief) and held this position until 1979. In 1964 he was also appointed Chairman and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Morley was instrumental in expanding the Toronto General Hospital's neurosurgical residency program and in developing the specialization of tumor surgery. He was also active in many other areas of hospital life. His roles at Toronto General Hospital included Chair of the Advisory Committee on Nursing and Technical Procedures (1972-September 1979); Chair of the Library Committee ([after 1952]-1965); and President of the TGH Medical Staff Association (1963-1966).
Dr. Morley died on April 29, 2012.
Scope and content
Series consists of admission registers kept by the Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit, April 1982-December 1989; personal and professional papers of TGH neurosurgeons 1934-1979; various materials relating to the opening of the new TGH neurosurgical unit, November 1958; correspondence and photographs relating to TGH chief neurosurgical residents 1931-1984; various papers of Dr. T.P. Morley, Head of the TGH Division of Neurosurgery 1962-1979; and miscellaneous records, including photographs of Jessie Young from 1998.
Series includes six sub-series:
22.1 Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit records
22.2 Neurosurgeons’ papers
22.3 Opening of Neurosurgical Unit
22.4 Chief Neurosurgical Residents
22.5 Dr. T.P. Morley papers
22.6 Miscellaneous records
Immediate source of acquisition
The records in this series were transferred to the Archives at various times from various sources. See sub-series-level descriptions for details.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions apply; see sub-series-level descriptions for details.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list is available.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Toronto General Hospital (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
University Health Network
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Last Updated: April 4, 2013. Added to Archeion April 4, 2013.
Language of description