Series TG 24 - Department of Nutrition Services records

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Nutrition Services records

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Attributions and conjectures: Title is based on contents of series.

Level of description


Reference code

CA ON00343 TG fonds-TG 24

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1986-1988 (Creation)
    The Toronto Hospital. Nutrition Services
  • 1918-1986 (Creation)
    Toronto General Hospital. Department of Nutrition Services

Physical description area

Physical description

3 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The TGH Dietary Department was established in 1912 when the first staff dietitian, Helen Reid, was appointed. The dietetics education program, later developed as the TGH Dietetics Internship program, was founded [191?]. By the 1950s the name of the department had been changed to Department of Nutrition Services. Prominent department heads have included Miss MT. Porter, Head Dietitian [192?]-1933; Miss Winifred J. Moyle, Head Dietitian 1933-?; Miss Margaret Ketchen, Director of Nutrition 1942-1967; Miss Helen Hood, Director of Nutrition 1968-1988.

The Department was responsible for preparing meals for all hospital wards, including special medical diets, and for conducting the dietetics education program.

Name of creator


Administrative history

When the Toronto General Hospital merged with the Toronto Western Hospital to form The Toronto Hospital in 1986, the nutrition components of the two hospitals (Nutrition Services at TGH and Food Services at TWH) continued to function separately for several years before fully integrating.

Directors of The Toronto Hospital's Nutrition Services have been Miss Helen Hood, Director of Nutrition 1986-1988 and Frances Haley (or Fran Haley), Director Nutrition Services 1988-1999.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Series consists of various materials created and maintained by the Department of Nutrition Services including a certificate of completion from the pupil dietitian course (1918), newsletters, Christmas dinner menus, course outlines from the Dietetic Internship Program, and programs from graduation and retirement dinners.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records in this series were transferred to the Archives at various times and from various sources as follows: file 24.0.1 in July 1988 from an unknown source; file 24.0.2 in February 1988 from the Director of Nutrition Services; file 24.0.3 in January 1989 from a private donor; files 24.0.4 and 24.0.6 in August 1987 from the Public Relations Department; file 24.0.5 in January 1988 from the Senior Consultant, Plant Engineering and Maintenance; and file 24.0.7 in June 1988 from the Public Relations Department.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

University Health Network Archives

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Last Updated: April 4, 2013. Added to Archeion April 4, 2013.

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area