Delaware Women's Institute

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Delaware Women's Institute

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Delaware Women's Institute Branch

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1914-1976

History

The Delaware Women’s Institute held its first meeting on June 8, 1914 with thirty members in attendance and the first President was Mrs. Ruddles. Other officers were: Mrs. F.P. Eichenberger, First Vice-President; Mrs. J. H. Mathews, Second Vice-President and Miss Gertrude Prior, Secretary-Treasurer. Meetings were initially scheduled for the first Tuesday of the month at 3 o`clock but that later changed. The meeting place was usually at someone`s home with four people providing lunch. Earlier in 1914, a group of women met with Rev. Leigh of the Anglican Church to form a Women’s Institute with Mrs. J. G. Bice as President. It was then noted by area WI members that the organization would not be recognized as a Women’s Institute Branch unless it was presided by officials from the Women’s Institute. The group met again on June 8, 1914 with Mrs. Mungar of Mount Brydges presiding. Mrs. Brient of Appin was also present and the branch organized again with Mrs. Ruddle as the president. The meetings began with the singing of “The Maple Leaf Forever” and ended with “God Save the King”. The last meeting was held November 24, 1976 with six members present. The minute book records that member “Mrs. [Kaye] Janes was asked to make arrangements to present Tweedsmuir History Books to Council to be placed in vault. Also to put copy in the Delaware Library on 1st Wed. in Dec. 1976. Mrs. Janes made a motion to disband Delaware Institute. Second by Eva Ferguson. "
Apart from local philanthropy and fundraising, the Women`s Institutes were instrumental in lobbying for pasteurization of milk, wrapping bread, the use of white lines on highways and other accomplishments. For more information about the Federated Women`s Institute of Ontario visit the website at: http://www.fwio.on.ca/.

Places

Middlesex County, Middlesex Centre, Delaware, Ontario, Canada

Legal status

The first Canadian Women`s Institute was established by Mrs. Adelaide Hoodless on February 9, 1897 in Stoney Creek Ontario. In 1904 the Ontario Department of Agriculture began funding seven full-time staff to help promote an organized Women`s Institute in communities throughout the province. By 1913 Institutes were established in all of the provinces. The Federated Women`s Institute of Canada (FWIC) was formed in 1919 when provincial representatives met in Winnipeg. This national organization co-ordinates the activities of the provincial Women`s Institutes. Each provincial association is represented on the national board. The motto of the FWIC is `For Home and Country ‘with the purpose of promoting the appreciation of rural life as well as educate citizens about national and international issues (particularly affecting women and children). The Federated Women`s Institute of Ontario began in 1919. In 1935, Lady Susan Tweedsmuir, wife of Lord Tweedsmuir, Governor General of Canada from 1935-1940, suggested the Ontario Women`s Institute branches keep local history books, similar to those in England. The Tweedsmuir Histories were officially named in 1947. Mrs. Vera Tilden compiled much of the material for the Tweedsmuir.

Functions, occupations and activities

The Delaware Women's Institute was responsible for raising money for various local charitable causes. Shortly after its creation, members of the organization began fundraising for war relief efforts as well as sewing for soldiers and their families. Other activities included platning flower beds, a tree to commemorate the coronation, maintaining the grass in the cemetery and park as well as forming a 4-H club in 1961.

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Delaware Women's Institute

Institution identifier

MIddlesex Centre Archives

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

September 22, 2015

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Delaware Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History Books

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC