Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the content of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Creighton Mine Athletic Association
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Creighton Mine Athletic Association (C.M.A.A.) was founded in November 1949 in Creighton Mine, Ontario. The objective of the C.M.A.A. was to sponsor and organize a variety of sports teams and athletic activities for the residents of Creighton Mine. Athletics were a popular and important pastime in the town and the International Nickel Company (Inco) took every opportunity to promote those activities, especially among their mining staff. The C.M.A.A. provided funding for the following sports teams in the area: senior men's baseball, junior boy's baseball, junior girls softball, women's softball, men's softball, basketball, soccer, tennis, badminton and hockey. The C.M.A.A. provided uniforms and equipment for the teams and arranged transportation for out-of-town games, sometimes using their own vehicles and sometimes hiring taxis. All Inco employees and non-employees living in the Sudbury and Creighton Mine areas were free to join any of the sports teams sponsored by the C.M.A.A. The association also funded a playground for Creighton Mine, planned a field day each year between 1951 and at least 1955 and provided money for, and took care of, the Creighton Mine Rink.
To fund these endeavors the C.M.A.A. collected dues from their members, had monthly dances, hosted a weekly bingo night until March 1953 and raffled off prizes a number of times per year. Meetings were held at the Employees Club at Inco in Creighton Mine.
The C.M.A.A. dissolved in 1973. By 1986, the town of Creighton Mine closed down due to the high cost of maintaining the area and residents were relocated to other, nearby communities.
President (Honourable – President of Inco):
Earl E. Mumford (1951 – 1968)
Bruce King (1969 – )
J.H. Douglas (1951)
Percy R. Britton (1952)
T.B. Starkey (1953 – 1954)
S. McIsaac (1955 – 1957)
G. Lynn (1958 – 1959)
Percy R. Britton (1960 – 1962)
M.K. Smith (1963 – 1971)
Eugene “Gene” Roy (1972 – )
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Earl Mumford was born in Mond, Ontario August 30, 1907. After attending Sudbury Mining and Technical School he began his career in 1927 at Worthington Mine as a drill helper. In 1934 he became a stope boss at the International Nickel Company's (Inco) Creighton Mine, was promoted to General Foreman in 1939, Mine Superintendent in 1947 and retired in 1969 as Area Manager of Creighton Mine. When Mumford was promoted to Mine Superintendent, his goal was to improve safety in the mine and Creighton became known for its safety records during the 1960's. Mumford married Aino Manninen in 1936 and had three children, Patricia Sharpe (née Patricia Mumford), William Mumford and Earl Mumford. He died on December 22, 1974. After his death, both Mumford Drive in Walden Industrial Park and the Lively branch of what is now part of the Greater Sudbury Public Library were named after Earl Mumford.
To learn more about Earl Mumford, see his obituary in The Sudbury Star, December 23, 1974, p. 3.
Bruce Thomas King was born May 19, 1915 in Raymond, Alberta. In 1937, he graduated in mining engineering from the University of Utah. He first began his mining career at Little Long Lac Mine in Geraldton and moved to Creighton, Ontario In May, 1938. In 1947, King became the General Forman. In 1950, he was transferred to Murray Mine to be the Superintendent and in late 1951, King was transferred again to Frood Mine. In 1954, Bruce King was appointed Superintendent at the Garson Mine. In 1968, he became Area Superintendent of Garson, Kirkwood and Maclennan Mines. Bruce King married Pauline Witbeck June 16, 1937 in his hometown and had two children. He died in Raymond, Alberta on November 20, 1994.