Title and statement of responsibility area
The Corporation of the Town of Alliston fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3.2 m of textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The history of Alliston originates with the arrival of William Fletcher and his brothers to Canada. Born in 1791 in Yorkshire, England, he eventually purchased land at Lot 15, Concession 3 in Tecumseth Township. On this farm the Fletchers prospered. In the fall of 1847, Mr Fletcher and his eldest son, John Fletcher set out in search of a mill stream. Eventually they settled on a site on Lot 1, Concession 1 in Essa upon which Alliston now stands. However, it was not until 1856 following the organization of an Orange Lodge that the Village of Alliston was formally created. The origin of this name is partly in doubt but the most commonly accepted is that Mr. Fletcher named this little village after his birthplace in Yorkshire, England. Alliston first became incorporated as a village in 1874 and the first council sat in January 1875 with Reeve George Fletcher, son of the pioneer, presiding. The councillors were P.D. Kelly, James Aitken, Richard Chappell, John Strachan, John Gilbert as clerk received $50.00 and James Drury the Treasurer, $20.00 per annum. Later, on January 1, 1891, with the proclamation of the Lieutanant Governor in Council, the Village of Alliston became the Town of Alliston. The first town council was made up of John Stewart, Mayor, Dr. James Sutherland, Reeve and Councillors John Moore, George McGirr, John F. Wilson, William Hutchinson, Thomas O'Callaghan, W.I. Clarke, James Jarrett, Henry Longeway and C.C. Lee.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of agreements, bylaws, council minutes, committee minutes, debentures, electoral records, financial statements, general ledgers and journals, tax records and vital statistics. The fonds is arranged into the following four series: Fonds is comprised of the following series: 1) Council Records Series 2) Financial Records Series 3) Legal Records Series 4) Miscellaneous Records
Immediate source of acquisition
Fonds transferred by the Corporation of the Town of New Tecumseth municipal offices. Accession 2004-10 was transferred by the Town of New Tecumseth in 2003.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Vital Statistics records are subject to the Vital Statistics Act and the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Detailed finding aid avaible.
Further accruals are expected.