Fonds CONG-187 - Cooke's Presbyterian Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Cooke's Presbyterian Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-187

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1851-1982 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Cooke's Presbyterian Church, Toronto was formed in 1851. Initially the congregation attempted to call a minister from the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and connect themselves with that denomination, but when that attempt failed the congregation applied for admission to the Presbyterian Church of Canada and the Rev. Alexander Gale was appointed interim moderator. The congregation worshipped first in St. Lawrence Hall, then in a frame church on George Street, purchased from the Methodists. The congregation called the Rev. Robert Irvine in 1852, the first of a series of Irish-born ministers. His successors included the Rev. William Gregg, (1857-1872). In the first hundred years the congregation called only one non-Irish minister. A permanent brick church building was completed at the corner of Queen and Mutual Streets in 1858 and this was replaced with a larger church building also of brick, on the same site in 1891. The congregation was re-named Cooke's in 1856 in honour of the Rev. Henry Cooke of Belfast Ireland; previously the congregation was known as Second Presbyterian Church. The membership dwindled after 1960 and the congregation disbanded in 1982.

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of registers, minutes and other records of Cooke's Presbyterian Church (Toronto, Ont.). Records consist of: Baptisms (1951-1978); Marriages (1850-1908, 1928-1951); Session minutes (1851-1929, 1935-1982); Communion Roll (1857-1889, 1891-1892, 1899-1905, 1918-1927, 1931-1933, 1937-1978); Congregational meetings (1851, 1852, 1944-1970); Board of Trustees records including deeds and contracts (1855-1920); and other records.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Session minutes are restricted for a period of 50 years from the date they were written.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000T at The Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres