Colpoy's Bay United Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Colpoy's Bay United Church

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

      • Colpoy's Bay Methodist Church

      Identifiers for corporate bodies

      Description area

      Dates of existence

      1884 - after 1989

      History

      A white frame church was built in 1875 and was consecrated as a Bible Christian church in October 1876. It became part of the unified Methodist Church of Canada in 1884. Until 1892, when the congretation received its own minister, it was served from Wiarton.

      The women formed a missionary society in 1905 to study and raise money for foreign missions. In 1909, it was renamed the Ladies' Aid an dits prime financial responsibility became the maintenance of the parsonage. Over the years it contributed substantially to the maintenance and improvement of the church building.

      Places

      Legal status

      Functions, occupations and activities

      Mandates/sources of authority

      Internal structures/genealogy

      General context

      Relationships area

      Access points area

      Subject access points

      Place access points

      Occupations

      Control area

      Authority record identifier

      Institution identifier

      Rules and/or conventions used

      Status

      Level of detail

      Dates of creation, revision and deletion

      Created March 17, 2012

      Language(s)

        Script(s)

          Sources

          Albemarle: a history of the township / Albemarle Township Historical Society, 1991; and contents of fonds.

          Maintenance notes