Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Journal Le Nord
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In November 1975, Paul Tanguay and Raymond Tremblay decided to examine the possibility of establishing a weekly newspaper that would serve the francophone population of Hearst and the surrounding area. A company called Les Presses du Nord-Est de l’Ontario was founded and a provisional executive committee was put into place. Most of the work was done by a team of volunteers that included Paul Tanguay, Raymond Tremblay, Gilles Camiré, Omer Cantin, Joseph Dubé, Laurent Guindon, Henri Leclerc and Marcel Leclerc. The general public was invited to invest in the newspaper by purchasing shares in the new publishing company. That money was used to buy the necessary equipment and to pay the workers’ salaries.
When Le Nord’s first edition was published on Wednesday March 24 1976, the employees were: Omer Cantin, journalist, Paul Tanguay, editor and publicist, Louise Tanguay, layout, and Gilles Camiré, administrator. About 1600 copies of the 24 pages edition was printed and offered, free of charge, to the local population.
A year later, a printing company called La Bonne Impression was added. It was operational for almost ten years and then sold; it became known as Les Ateliers du Nord-Est Printing, a company still operating in Hearst.
In the early eighties, the weekly’s circulation was around 5000 copies. It was of about 3000 copies in 2013, and it presently is around 2200 including the digital publication. The newspaper is distributed weekly from Longlac to Smooth Rock Falls.
In order to better serve the francophone population from Opasatika to Smooth Rock Falls, a second weekly, Le Nord de Kapuskasing, was established in December 1986. That newspaper was published until 1995. From 800 to 1000 copies of that newspaper were published weekly.
In 1988, the shareholders redistributed their shares to Raymond Alary, Omer Cantin and Louis Corbeil who invested new funds into the business. From 1993 to 2016, Omer Cantin was the sole owner of the newspaper. It was sold to CINN, the community radio station of Hearst, in May 2016, and is now part of the group Les médias de l’épinette noire inc.
Le Nord is a member of the Association de la Presse francophone (APF), a French-language association of newspapers published outside of Québec.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description