Fonds F2224 - Clarkson Family

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Clarkson Family

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00335 F2224

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904-1963 (Creation)
    Creator
    Clarkson Family

Physical description area

Physical description

32.5 cm of textual records
32 photographs
13 artefacts

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1864 - 1964)

Biographical history

The Clarksons were a prominent Toronto family associated with the accounting and stock brokerage firm, Clarkson Gordon. The majority of the records in this fonds pertains to Alice Amelia Clarkson (née Baines, 14 December 1881 - 10 March 1964), daughter of Mary Louise Baines (née Conventay, 1858-1933) and Christopher C. Baines (b. 1846), and her descendants. Alice Clarkson, sometimes referred to as Vally, attended Bishop Strachan School before enrolling at Trinity College in 1901. She graduated with a B.A. in 1904. Alice Clarkson’s sister, Marguerite Baines (1884-1951?), a frequent and constant correspondent of her sister, never married and lived with her mother. Marguerite and Alice would often accompany Mary Baines on her frequent travels to Europe, Asia, and the United States. By the 1920s, Marguerite and her mother would take up permanent residence in Vancouver.

Alice Clarkson married Frederick Curzon Clarkson (3 December 1880-6 August 1951), son of Amy Lambe Clarkson (1852-1925) and Edward Roper Clarkson (1852-1931) on 7 October 1909. For the majority of their married life they lived at 58 Admiral Road in Toronto. Frederick Clarkson worked for his father’s accounting firm, E.R.C Clarkson and Sons, later Clarkson Gordon & Co.

Alice and Frederick Clarkson had three children, Margaret Eleanor Clarkson (b. 8 May 1912), Frederick Curzon Clarkson (1914-1973?), and Cuthbert B. Clarkson (b. 1920). Margaret (Margot) Clarkson studied at Ovenden College, Barrie, before attending Trinity College in 1929. She graduated with a B.A in 1933. She never married and became a social worker based in New York City in the 1940s. Like her mother and grandmother, she travelled extensively in her youth during the 1930s.

Curzon Clarkson attended Lakefield Preparatory School as a child and entered Trinity College in September of 1933, where he stayed until May of 1934. In September 1934 he transferred to a vocational training school in Detroit, Michigan, most likely the General Motors Institute. Curzon married Mary Louise Porter with whom he had two children: Frederick (Rick) Clarkson (1944?-1998) and Pegi Clarkson (d. 2014). He settled in St. Catharines, Ontario, with his family.

Cuthbert Clarkson attended Upper Canada College and Queen’s University. In 1941 he joined the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps and served overseas in Britain most likely from 1943 to 1946. His marital status is unknown. He appears to have resided with his mother, Alice Clarkson, during the final two decades of her life.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds is largely a collection of correspondence between various members of the Clarkson family, spanning most of their lives from 1904 to about 1963. A substantial amount of the material focuses on their travels and the primary recipient is Alice Baines Clarkson. The fonds also contains family and Trinity related photographs, diaries, records from the Women’s Musical club, and other memorabilia.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Helen Slade, Nursing Don at St. Hilda’s, Trinity College, brought the records to the Trinity College Archives in the 1980s. They were accessioned and ownership was formally transferred by Pegi Clarkson in 1991.

Arrangement

Arranged by the archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Public Domain

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres