Fonds RG 1 - City of Vaughan Council fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

City of Vaughan Council fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00373 RG 1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1849-2010 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

44 m of textual records + supporting cartographic material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1850, as a consequence of the Robert Baldwin Act of 1849, the Vaughan Township Council came into being as a corporate entity. The legislation provided for the election of four Councillors and a Reeve with power to appoint officers, supervise statute labour, levy local taxes and borrow certain moneys. A Deputy-Reeve(s) was appointed from the members of Council. The Vaughan Township Council bore responsibility for all aspects of local government and administration in the Township. Council consisted of 4 Councillors and a Reeve. The Reeve was the Head of Council and was elected by his fellow Councillors. As was the case for the entire Council, the office holder was required to live within a two mile radius of the municipality and possess the right to a legal or equitable freehold of $400.00 or a leasehold of $800.00. The duties of the Reeve included presiding as head of Council at all of the monthly Council meetings, and, in conjunction with the other council members, initiating and establishing the rules and regulations for the government of the municipality and reviewing the conduct of all officers in the employ of the municipality. The Reeve was also tasked with recommending to council ways and means of improving local finance, health, security, comfort and the aesthetic quality of the Township. Additionally, the incumbent served as the municipality’s Justice of the Peace and was a member of the Vaughan Township Board of Health. Deputy Reeves were elected by Council with their number proportional to the area’s population. Their responsibilities varied only marginally from those of Councillor’s -- the chief differentiating factor being that a Deputy Reeve served as a Reeve in the latter’s absence. Individual Councillors were elected by the constituents of their respective Wards. Council ultimately bore responsibility for all aspects of municipal governments as indicated earlier. Elections were held annually between 1850-1957, when two-year terms were introduced. This system was in place up until 1970. The structure of Council changed in 1971 with the advent of regional government and the ascension of Vaughan Township to the status of a Town. From 1971-1988, Council consisted of 4 Local Councillors, 1 Local and Regional Councillor and a Mayor. As of 1989, the roster was increased to 2 Regional representatives. Council retained this latter structure as Vaughan attained City status in 1991. This structure has been maintained during the time-frame encompassed by the fonds.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

The records of the City of Vaughan Council and its predecessor bodies were generated between 1849-1993. They were subsequently placed in the custody of the Office of the Clerk-Treasurer/Clerk’s Department in compliance with the Municipal Act, wherein the Clerk is designated as keeper of the record. Indeed, the Clerk Treasurer/Clerk’s Department provided Council with actual support services required to produce the documents per se. (In 1968, the Office of the Clerk-treasurer was divided to form the Clerk’s Department and the Treasurer’s Department).

Scope and content

Records include working papers, minutes and resolutions, by-laws, reports to Council, and Court of Revision Records. Chronicle Council's activities and functions, and document decisions and deliberations, and relationship with the civic administration; also document relations of former with other jurisdictions, namely the Province of Ontario, and the County of York and the Village of Woodbridge before 1971, and the Regional Municipality of York after 1971. Span dates of most significant series are: Council agendas and minutes, 1850-2010; Council Committee/Committee of the Whole agendas and minutes, 1976-2010; by-laws, 1850-2005.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Transferred by Town/City of Vaughan Clerk's Department, 1986, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2010 and 2011.

Arrangement

Arrangement is chronological within each series, excepting by-laws where documents are in numerical order.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Descriptive inventory, including comprehensive file lists and indexes, available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

The fonds continues to receive frequent additions of records.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area