Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- City of Port Arthur (Ont.)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
During the years immediately following Confederation, the Ontario government began to take steps to assert control over the northwestern portion of the province. This assertion of control included the surveying of several new townships on the north shore of Lake Superior.
In 1873, the Corporation of the Municipality of Shuniah was established. (Ont. Stat., Cap. A50, 36 Vic.) Shuniah consisted of Thunder Cape and Prince Arthur’s Landing along with the Townships of McGregor, Crooks, McTavish, McIntyre, Paipoonge and Neebing (including Fort William) was the first incorporated municipality in northwestern Ontario. A petition of residents of Shuniah in 1884 resulted in the separation of a section of the Municipality to form The Corporation of the Town of Port Arthur (Ont. Stat., Cap. 57, 47 Vic.).
During the early years of the twentieth century, which were marked by substantial commercial growth and population increase, the inhabitants of Port Arthur petitioned the Ontario Legislature for incorporation as a city. Consequently, in 1907, the Ontario government passed legislation that elevated Port Arthur ( Ont. Stat., Cap. 83, 7 Edw. VII to city status.
In 1969, the Ontario legislature passed an Act to Incorporate the City of the Lakehead ( Ont. Stat., Cap. 56) which provided for the amalgamation of Port Arthur into the new Corporation of the City of Thunder Bay. When this Act took effect on Jan. 1, 1970, Port Arthur ceased to exist as a separate entity.