Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1852-1853, 1855-1939, 1941-1963, 1966-2006 (Vervaardig)
- City of Guelph Office of Assessor
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Bereik en inhoud
Series consists of five hundred and seventy bound assessment ledgers recording assessed real property values used in the calculation of property taxes in the City of Guelph.
The assessment ledgers may document property owner and occupant names, addresses, occupations, and ages, description of property (including survey and plan information), real property values and assessments, and statistical information regarding religion, school support, sex and age of residents, and number of dogs in the household. Residents were able to challenge assessed property values in the Court of Revision, which had authority to revise assessed values and regulated the record-keeping practices of the assessors.
The assessment ledgers are arranged by year and then alphabetically by ward name. The information was recorded by Assessors and arranged initially by divisions within the town. With the designation as a town under the Municipal Act of 1856, Guelph was divided into four assessment wards (North, West, East and South). By 1935, the number of assessment wards had expanded to six (St. James, St. Andrew's, St.David's, St. John's, St. Patrick's and St. George's) as the City's population grew and boundaries expanded. The City and its wards were divided into twelve divisions until the the 1950's when the number of divisions were increased.