City of Guelph Office of Assessor

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

City of Guelph Office of Assessor

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1852-1970

History

The office of assessor was a position created yearly under by-law by the City of Guelph Council and its predecessor, the Town Council of Guelph. Under by-law, one full-time assessor was appointed by Council. Provisions in the by-law also enabled Council to appoint a second assessor if circumstances warranted. By 1923, the title of the position had changed to Assessment Commissioner, and provisions were made for the hiring of one full-time assessor and a part-time assessor, on an as-needed basis, for the completion of the assessment. Additionally, the assessors were given responsibility for the collection of the City's poll tax, which was turned over to the City Treasurer. The City of Guelph continued to conduct property assessments until 1970, when the Province of Ontario assumed responsibility of municipal property assessment.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

F2-2-1

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC