Title and statement of responsibility area
City of Fort William fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- City of Fort William (Ont.)
Physical description area
139 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
During the years immediately following Confederation, the Ontario government began to take steps to assert control over the northwestern portion of the province. This assertion of control included the surveying of several new townships on the north shore of Lake Superior.
In 1873, the Corporation of the Municipality of Shuniah was established. (Ont. Stat., Capt. 50, 36 Vic.) Shuniah, which consisted of Thunder Cape and Prince Arthur’s Landing along with the townships of McGregor, Crooks, McTavish, McIntyre, Paipoonge and Neebing (including Fort William), was the first incorporate municipality in northwestern Ontario. In response to a petition submitted by various residents of Shuniah, the legislature passed an act in March of 1881 (Ont. Stat., Cap 43, 44 Vic) which provided for the withdrawal of various portions of the muncipality, i.e. the geographic townships of Blake, Crooks, Pardee, Paipoonge, Neebing, McKellar, along with Sundry islands, in order to establish the Municipality of Neebing. With the growth of population and development of manufacturing and shipping, a portion of the Municipality of Neebing was withdrawn in order to incorporate the Town of Fort William in 1892. (Ont. Stat., Capt. 70, 55 Vic.)
As a result of substantial commercial growth, coupled with an increase in population during the early years of the twentieth century, the inhabitants of Fort William petitioned the Ontario legislature for incorporation as a city. Consequently in 1907, the Ontario government passed legislation which elevated Fort William (Ont. Stat.., Capt. 66, 7 Edward. VII) to city status. In 1969, the Ontario legislature passed an Act to Incorporate the City of the Lakehead (Ont. Stat. , Capt. 56) which provided for the amalgamation of Fort William into the new Corporation of the City of Thunder Bay. When this Act took effect on Jan. 1, 1970, Fort William ceased to exist as a separate entity.
The fonds was acquired from the City of Thunder Bay.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of minutes, by-laws, agreements, correspondence, reports, financial records , maps and plans which documents virtually all aspects of municipal rights, responsibilities and activities. As a result of a disastrous fire in March of 1903, which destroyed the original Town Hall and almost all of the municipality’s early records, there is relatively little documentation covering Fort William’s first decade. The post 1903 records, however, reflect all categories of municipal functions, and responsibilities including council, administration, finance, waterworks, roads, planning, building, engineering, public transportation, parks, recreation, telephone, welfare, police and fire service.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to all records in the fonds is governed by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use of these records is governed by the City of Thunder Bay Archives and Rules and Regulations for Researchers. Although the majority of the records in the fonds can be reproduced, the Archives reserves the right to refuse to copy records which are fragile or which are subject to restrictions under Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation. Photocopies of documents are available to the general public at $.55 per page and students at $.25 per page. Copies of photographs, maps, etc. are provided at cost. Researchers may be required to pay a deposit when large orders are requested.
File lists are available.
Some additional accruals are anticipated.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Description revised 2012-03-19 by Sara Janes
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata