Title and statement of responsibility area
Christ Church (Anglican), Bell's Corners, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 6C1 B2&16 03 05&51 B2&57 B
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
93 cm of textual records 12 photographs : b&w and col. 6 architectural drawings Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Services at Bell's Corners were originally held in the schoolhouse by visiting missionaries. In 1853, a stone Union Church was built on land donated by Mr. Hugh Bell. Mr. John Dawson donated land in 1876 for the erection of an Anglican church. Christ Church, Bell's Corners was built between 1876 and 1879 and consecrated by Bishop Charles Hamilton on September 24, 1896. The 75th anniversary of the founding of the Christ Church congregation was celebrated on August 20, 1929. The rectory, after serving for 75 years, was demolished in 1963 and another was built soon after. In 1979, Bell's Corners celebrated the centennial of the present church and the 125th anniversary of the founding of the parish. Bishop William J. Robinson laid the cornerstone for a new church on May 29, 1980. The first service was held on September 7, 1980 and the church was dedicated by Bishop Robinson on September 29th of that year. An addition to the church was begun in 1988, with the laying of the cornerstone on October 13th. The Union cemetery, still maintained by the Anglican and United churches, has been designated a heritage site. St. Barnabas', Fallowfield was part of the Parish of Bell's Corners until it closed in 1940 and the church property was sold in 1963.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of Christ Church congregation in Bell's Corners, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1879-1984, vestry records, 1920-1966, service registers, 1898-1984, records of committees and organizations including parish council, financial records, property records, special services and events material, correspondence, historiography, service bulletins, newsclippings, lists of parishioners, newsletters, scrapbook, photographs, and architectural drawings. Includes some records for St. Barnabas', Fallowfield and St. Paul's, Kanata.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of Christ Church, Bell's Corners.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. Architectural records finding aid. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most photographs are encapsulated.
Parish history published c1979.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Christ Church (Bell's Corners, Ont.) (Creator)