Title and statement of responsibility area
Christ Church (Anglican), Ashton, Ontario fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00006 2 C346&6L A2&51 A9&65 A6
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
50 cm of textual records 11 photographs : b&w and col. Parish and service registers fragile.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Services in Ashton were held as early as 1840 and the residents built Christ Church out of stone in 1845. The church and burial ground were consecrated by Bishop J. Travers Lewis on October 13, 1879. A brick rectory was begun for the parish in 1890. Due to the need for extensive repairs, it was decided in 1907 to build a new church. The cornerstone for a more modern church was laid on July 6, 1915 and the building was completed in the same year. The second Christ Church was consecrated on January 15, 1920 by Bishop John Charles Roper. The centennial of Christ Church, Ashton was celebrated on October 15, 1945. In 1967, the daughter churches of St. Stephen's, Munster and St. Augustine's, Prospect were closed for regular Sunday services and the congregations joined with Christ Church, Ashton. The 125th anniversary was marked in 1970 by renovations to the church. Ashton remains a one-point parish.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records of the activities of Christ Church congregation in Ashton, Ontario. It includes parish registers, 1856-1973, vestry records, 1863-1972, service registers, 1921-1988, records of committees and organizations including the parish council, financial records, property records, special events material, correspondence, historiography, newsclippings, list of parishioners, newsletters, and photographs. Includes some records for St. Stephen's, Munster and St. Augustine's, Prospect.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated at various times by clergy, parish officers, parishioners, and staff of Christ Church, Ashton.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Parish registers after 1930 available only to family members.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photocopying of original registers is not permitted. Use of records for publication, either whole or in part, requires permission of the archivist.
Index to parish registers. Database available for index to parish registers. Index for other parish records. "Guide to the Holdings of the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario"
Further accruals are expected.
Most photographs are encapsulated.