Fonds CONG-363 - Central Presbyterian Church (Cambridge, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Central Presbyterian Church (Cambridge, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-363

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1904, 1954, 1982 and microfilmed 2000 (originally created 1832-2000) (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

3 cm of textual records 3 reels of microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Central Presbyterian Church in Cambridge, Ontario was formed in 1880 from the union of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Galt (est. 1832), and Union Church, Galt (est. 1857). Union Church has its origins in the development of a United Presbyterian Church in 1857 by The Rev. John King from the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland. It was located at the corner of Blair Road and Metcalfe Street in Galt. In 1861, the name was changed to "The Second Canada Presbyterian Church", Galt, and again to Melville Presbyterian Church in 1866. In 1870, it merged with Bayne Presbyterian Church, which was formed a year earlier by a minority of members from Knox's Galt Presbyterian Church. With this merging, the congregation took the name Union Church. With the formation of Central Presbyterian Church from the merging of the Union Church and St. Andrew's Church, construction began on a new building, which was officially opened on March 5th, 1882.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the record of Central Presbyterian Church in Cambridge, Ontario and its predecessors - St. Andrew's P.C. and Union Church. For St. Andrew's P.C. the records include: Session minutes (1849-1880), Baptisms (1832-1875), Marriages (1849-1879), and a Communion Roll (1875). For the Union Church the records include: Session minutes (1856-1880) and Session minutes for Bayne P.C. (1869); Baptisms (1857-1880); and Communion Rolls (1857, 1863). And for Central P.C. the records include Session minutes (1880-1980), Baptisms (1879-1979, 1987-1994), Marriages (1898-1956, 1987-1994), Burials (1987-1994), Communion Rolls (1880-2000), two congregational histories (1904, 1982), and an Order of Service on the dedication of the new Sunday School Building.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Session minutes are restricted for a period of 50 years from the date they were written.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000C at The Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area