Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1806 - 1968 (Creation)
- Cartwright and Wood
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Cartwrights were a prominent Upper Canadian Loyalist family, living in the Kingston area and later in York (Toronto). The Hon. Richard Cartwright Jr. (1759-1815) had twin sons, Robert David Cartwright (1804-1843), an Anglican minister, and John Solomon Cartwright (1804-1845), a Kingston lawyer who became involved in banking, real estate, and politics. The youngest of John Solomon Cartwright’s children was John Robison Cartwright (1842-1919), a lawyer who became deputy attorney general of Ontario. In June 1868, John Robison Cartwright married Emily Boulton (1845-1920), in Cobourg, Ontario. Emily’s grandfather, D’Arcy Edward Boulton (1785-1846) hadbuilt The Grange in Toronto as his family home. Her father D’Arcy Edward Boulton (1814-1902) and mother Emily Mary Caroline Heath married in 1838 and raised their ten children at their home, known as The Lawn, in Cobourg. D’Arcy was a lawyer active in town affairs, serving as mayor of Cobourg from 1854 to 1857. John Robison Cartwright and Emily Boulton Cartwright had six children: Mabel (1869-1955), John Macaulay Boulton (1872- 1877), Stephen Hayter (1875-1909), Ralph Bingham (1877-1899), Edwin Aubrey (1879-1951), and Winifred Macaulay (1883-1953).
Their first child, Mabel Cartwright, was born in Kingston, Ontario, in 1869. She grew up in Toronto and later went to England where she was educated at Cheltenham Ladies’ College and Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford University. Mabel earned honours in the School of Modern History, taught in Oxford High School and, upon her return to Toronto, at Bishop Strachan School for four years. In 1903 she was appointed the second Lady Principal and in 1925 Dean of Women at St. Hilda’s residence, Trinity College. She taught English at Trinity College until her retirement in 1936. In 1925 she was granted a Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) by the University of Toronto. Through the years she held numerous posts including that of president of the Women's Auxiliary of the Diocese of Toronto.
After Mabel Cartwright’s retirement from St. Hilda’s, she lived at 32 Prince Arthur Avenue in Toronto with her invalid sister Winifred and her friend and former student, (Hilda) Fern Wood until her death in 1955. Born in Orillia, the daughter of Edward A. Wood and Sarah Weafer Wood, Fern Wood (1889-1962) was the executor of Miss Cartwright’s estate.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records relating to three generations of the Cartwright family, their relatives, friends and colleagues. Most prominent are the papers of Mabel Cartwright, which includes correspondence with her family and relatives, diaries, notebooks and photographs.
Correspondence and other records from earlier generations of Cartwrights are included, most from Mabel Cartwright’s parents dating from the late 1860s to the early 1920s. Letters from Mabel Cartwright’s siblings, including Stephen, a missionary in Japan, are included. Financial and legal documents are included from the time Mabel Cartwright lived with her sister Winifred. The fonds also contains material accumulated and written by Hilda Fern Wood about Mabel Cartwright, and some records relating to the Wood family.