Canadian Car and Foundry

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Canadian Car and Foundry

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        1909-1955

        History

        The Canadian Car and Foundry Company Limited of Montreal, Quebec, manufactured railway and urban transportation rolling stock, ships, and aeroplanes.

        The company was created in November 1909 with the amalgamation of the nation's three largest railway rolling stock manufacturers. Beginning with foundries, lumber operations, and fabrication plants in Quebec and the Maritimes, the company moved into the new field of steel body casting and construction. The company quickly purchased the Montreal Steel Works of Longue Pointe, Quebec, and the Ontario Iron and Steel Company of Welland, Ontario, reorganizing them into the Canadian Steel Foundries Limited, the largest steel casting producer in Canada. By World War I, the company had also purchased a foundry in Brantford and erected a fabrication plant in Fort William, Ontario.

        By 1920, the company's operations included steel production, shipbuilding, and the manufacturing of luxury wooden railway cars, steel passenger and sleeper cars, grain and freight rolling stock, and electric streetcars. Working with design and production partners in other countries, the company served rail and urban transportation needs in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and much of southern Africa. With the coming of World War II, the company further diversified into aircraft, bus, and motor coach manufacture.

        In 1955, aircraft company A.V. Roe Canada Limited purchased the Canadian Car Company Limited or "Can-Car" as it was then known, and closed most of the rolling stock plants. Acquisition of A.V. Roe Canada by British-based Hawker Siddeley Limited resulted in further steel plant closures and a new focus on the manufacture of aeroplanes and urban transportation systems. In 1973, with the assistance of the Ontario Government, the operations were organized into the Urban Transportation Development Corporation Limited and, in 1992, acquired by the Bombardier Group.

        Places

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Occupations

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        Maintained by

        Institution identifier

        Archives of Ontario

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Rev. Mar/12.

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            Maintenance notes