Title and statement of responsibility area
Canadian Army Military District No. 6 Headquarters fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00093 2003/42; 95/82
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Canada. Canadian Army. Military District, No. 6. Headquarters
Physical description area
26 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1868, the Militia Act divided the Dominion of Canada into nine Military Districts. These Military Districts were designed to be the administrative units for the coordination of recruitment and for mustering the active militia units within the rural districts, and for responding to requests for aid to the civil power. In July 1914, under the threat of war, Canada was again divided for military purposes; this time into 6 Divisional Areas (renamed Military Districts on 1 April 1916) and 3 Districts. Among these was created the 6th Divisional Area, Maritime Provinces, with its headquarters in Halifax. At the outbreak of the First World War, due to its strategic location, local militia units were immediately posted for defence duties at Halifax. Two Infantry Regiments and an Artillery were also placed on active service. In addition, a composite battalion composed of eight companies was placed on active service on 10 September 1914. In May 1915, three other companies were added. They remained on duty until 1 May 1918, when Artillery and Infantry units formed out of CEF personnel in Canada relieved them. The units in Military District No. 6, whether on active service in Canada or not, all contributed to CEF formations.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of Fortress Orders for the Military District No. 6 (HQ Halifax) from the period 1908 to 1909 that are catalogued as 95/82 and three original volumes of Fortress Orders for the Military District No. 6 (HQ Halifax) from the period 1914 to 1916 that are catalogued as 2003/42. The Fortress Orders consist of instructions regarding garrison duties, mobilization, gun practice, rations, court martials as well as inspections of CEF units, etc. The three volumes from 1914 to 1916 also include one colour image entitled “Canadian Soldier” from the painting by Lilias Torrance Newton, RCA.
Immediate source of acquisition
The immediate source of acquisition is unknown.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are asked to handle the documents in 2003/42 with care as they have been damaged by the binding glue and by moisture.
Related materials are found in the Kardex collection under Military District No. 6.
Associated materials are held at the National Archives of Canada in the Department of National Defence fonds, in the Military district records series under R112-0-2-E and R112-137-7-F.
Further accruals are not expected.
The original covers identified the volumes as Books No. 11[?], 14 and 15. One page appears to be missing from Book No. 15.
Originally titled Fortress Orders, Halifax
The original covers of 2003/42 identified the volumes as Books No. 11[?], 14 and15. One page appears to be missing from Book No. 15.