Fonds F1275 - Calvary United Church (Rodney, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Calvary United Church (Rodney, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Architectural drawing
  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1275

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1996-1997 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives
    Note
    Microfilmed
  • 1896-1986 (Creation)
    Creator
    Calvary United Church (Rodney, Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.58 m of textual records
Architectural drawings
Photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1968-)

Administrative history

Calvary United Church was created in 1968 through the union of Calvary Memorial Evangelical United Brethren Church in Rodney and Rodney United Church. It formed part of a single-point pastoral charge from 1968 to ca. 1980 when it joined Knox Church in West Lorne to form West Elgin Pastoral Charge. West Elgin Pastoral Charge closed June 15, 2004 and the two churches formed separate single-point charges. Calvary United Church is still an active congregation of the United Church of Canada.

Calvary Memorial Evangelical United Brethren Church was created in 1949 through the amalgamation of two Evangelical United Brethren congregations, Immanuel Church in Churchville [Aldborough], Ontario and Zion Church in Rodney.Rodney Evangelical United Brethren Circuit was named in 1923 as a successor to the Aldborough Evangelical Church Circuit. The Circuit took in preaching places in Aldborough Township, Ontario at Rodney and Middle Street, Aldborough [Churchville]. Initially a part of the Elgin Mission (1861), the Aldborough area was home to German-speaking farmers. A separate Aldborough Mission was established by the Evangelical Association in 1885, and it later was promoted to the status of a Circuit.The EUB Church in Rodney was built in 1898 to house a congregation of German-Canadians, which had been established in the village in 1890.

Rodney United Chuch was established in 1925 when a minority of the local Presbyterian Church in Canada congregation decided to join the new United Church. Their place of worship was opened in 1927.

New Glasgow, Ontario is located four miles from Rodney, where Presbyterians began ministering in 1875. The United Church there dates from the Union of 1925.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Quarterly Conference minutes of Aldborough Evangelical Association Circuit (includes Aldborough (Churchville) and Rodney), 1904-1916; Quarterly Conference minutes of Aldborough Evangelical Church Circuit (includes Aldborough (Churchville) and Rodney), 1916-1929; women's group records of Calvary Memorial Evangelical Association Church, Rodney, 1933-1940; records, including baptisms, 1907-1968, and marriages, 1896-1967, of Rodney Evangelical United Brethren Church Circuit (includes Aldorough Evangelical Church Circuit), 1896-1968; records, including marriages, 1951-1968, of Calvary Memorial Evangelical United Brethren Church, 1906-1968; board and committee minutes of St. John's United Church, Rodney, 1926-1968; records, including baptisms, 1922-1947, and marriages, 1897-1947, of Calvary United Church, Rodney (includes Rodney Methodist Church and St. John's United Church in Rodney), 1897-1986; board and committee records of West Lorne United Church (includes West Lorne Presbyterian Church), 1901-1982; women's group records of New Glasgow United Church, 1925-1971.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-139: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available.

Finding aids

London Conference - finding aid 291

Associated materials

Accruals

General note

Includes records of former Rodney United Church fonds (F1881)

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1987.101L

Accession

1991.153L

Accession

2020.011L/TR

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

CAN

Institution identifier

ON00340

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2020/01; rb

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area