Fonds - Calton Women's Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Calton Women's Institute fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1857-2006 (Creation)
    Creator
    Calton Women's Institute
    Place
    Calton

Physical description area

Physical description

91 cm of textual records and graphic material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(November 12, 1952-April 2010)

Administrative history

The Calton Women's Institute was formed on November 12, 1952. A new school had been built to accommodate the increased number of pupils in the district. As a result, the old school was taken over by the community to be used as a Community Hall, managed by a committee of three. This committee felt very keenly their responsibility and wanted to be certain that the Hall would become and remain a valuable asset the community.
Several of the ladies in Calton had for some time seen a need for an organized group such as the Women's Institute. They were encouraged by the men-folk too, who saw the advantages of an organization which had Province-wide, Dominion-wide, and even World-wide influence on, and for, "Home and Country". Such a group, they felt, if given the privilege of using the Hall as a home, would automatically and withour pressure, keep the standard of community activities on a high level, and yet include every member of the locality regardless of their religious, racial or political differences.
So the Calton Women's Institute was formed with a charter membership of 29, headed by Mrs. Charles Phillips as President and Mrs. Robert Kennedy as Secretary-Treasurer. Mrs. Ward Benner of Bayham and Mrs. H. Evert of Calton, both with long experience in Institute work, helped to organize the Calton branch.
Calton Women's Institute disbanded in April 2010.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of the records created and maintained by the Calton Women's Institute. Divided into the following series:

  • Historical records, 1857-1985
  • Minutes, 1952-2006
  • Programs and Events series, 1955-1987
  • Tweedsmuir History series, 1957-1993

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Open

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Accompanying material

The Tweedsmuir Histories compiled by members of the Women's Institutes of Elgin County are available online through the County of Elgin Women's Institutes Tweedsmuir Histories Digitization Project.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area