Bytown and Nepean Road Company

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Bytown and Nepean Road Company

Parallel form(s) of name

    Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

      Other form(s) of name

        Identifiers for corporate bodies

        Description area

        Dates of existence

        1851-1922

        History

        The Bytown and Nepean Road Company was formed in 1851 to facilitate construction of a macadamized road from Bytown to Bell's Corners in the Township of Nepean, County of Carleton, Ontario.

        The Bytown and Nepean Road Company was established at Bytown on 21 April 1851. Stockholders proposed to construct a plank or macadamized road from Bytown to Bell's Corners in the Township of Nepean, County of Carleton, and to collect tolls from users of the road. The formation of such a company was in accordance with provincial statutes of the time. However, the company had acted without the knowledge and consent of the Municipality of the Township of Nepean and became involved in litigation, for the Township of Nepean has passed a by- law (By-law No. 17) approving the formation of the Bytown and West Carleton Road Company on May 22, 1851. A meeting between all affected parties resulted in the decision to amalgamate the two companies under the name of the Bytown and Nepean Road Company, and to increase the capital stock to 4000 pounds, of which the Township of Nepean was to hold 100.

        On June 7, 1851, the Bytown and Nepean Road Company signed a contract with Mr. Isaac Hope of Kingston for the construction of the first section of the road, and by July of 1852 the contractor had macadamized and completed four miles from Bytown westward. A toll gate and side bars were erected, a rate of tariffs fixed, a gate-keeper appointed, and in October 1852 the shareholders in the company received their first dividend from the tolls collected. By July of 1853, the whole distance of eight and a half miles from Bytown to Bell's Corners was completed and a toll gate was erected at the western end of the road.

        In 1888 the City of Ottawa extended its limits and negotiated to acquire the portion of the Bytown and Nepean Macadamized Road which lay within the city. However, the remainder of the road continued in operation under the direction of the Bytown and Nepean Road Company until it was expropriated by the County of Carleton on February 7, 1920, with the County paying $35 000 on March 17, 1922. At this time, the Company proceeded to wind up its affairs, surrender its charter, and distribute its assets. By December of 1922 all the stockholders had been paid off and the Bytown and Nepean Road Company ceased to exist.

        Places

        Legal status

        Functions, occupations and activities

        Mandates/sources of authority

        Internal structures/genealogy

        General context

        Relationships area

        Access points area

        Subject access points

        Place access points

        Occupations

        Control area

        Authority record identifier

        Maintained by

        Institution identifier

        Archives of Ontario

        Rules and/or conventions used

        Status

        Level of detail

        Dates of creation, revision and deletion

        Rev. Apr/12.

        Language(s)

          Script(s)

            Sources

            Maintenance notes