Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Brooklin Women's Institute
94 photographs : b&w
59 photographs : col.
2 pins : metal
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
The Brooklin Women's Institute (WI) was founded in May 1910. This organization was an offshoot of the Whitby WI, which had been operative since 1897. The Brooklin WI was led by a president and a small executive team, including first and second vice presidents and a secretary-treasurer. Roughly 20 individuals maintained annual membership, especially in the organization's early decades.
The WI's goal was to educate women regarding the application of domestic science to homemaking activities. The WI also engaged in lobbying activities, submitting resolutions to municipal and provincial governments. All WI endeavors were orchestrated by standing committees comprising members. Committees organized lectures, prepared resolutions, participated in community activities, and created “Tweedsmuir histories,” or scrapbooks containing narratives about the region. The Brooklin WI’s committees included the following: Resolutions; Agriculture and Canadian Industries; Historical Research and Current Events; Public Relations and Community Activities; Citizenship and Education; and Home Economics and Health.
The Brooklin WI was active in the regional community over the years: it fundraised for the township hall; donated to the Brooklin library; hosted hobby shows, educational programs, and essay prize programs for children; planted trees; and held health clinics, including one in which children were given tonsil operations. To raise funds, the Brooklin WI delivered radio broadcasts and served at fairs, garden parties, banquets, concerts, and dramas.
Like the Whitby WI, the Brooklin WI appears to have focused on the concerns of white, middle-class, Christian women in the region. The organization's Tweedsmuir histories demonstrate this tendency, centering on the region's white European pioneers and their descendants.
The Brooklin WI disbanded in 1997.
Bereik en inhoud
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal