Brooklin Women's Institute

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Brooklin Women's Institute

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1910-1997

History

The Brooklin Women's Institute (WI) was founded in May 1910. This organization was an offshoot of the Whitby WI, which had been operative since 1897. The Brooklin WI was led by a president and a small executive team, including first and second vice presidents and a secretary-treasurer. Roughly 20 individuals maintained annual membership, especially in the organization's early decades.

The WI's goal was to educate women regarding the application of domestic science to homemaking activities. The WI also engaged in lobbying activities, submitting resolutions to municipal and provincial governments. All WI endeavors were orchestrated by standing committees comprising members. Committees organized lectures, prepared resolutions, participated in community activities, and created “Tweedsmuir histories,” or scrapbooks containing narratives about the region. The Brooklin WI’s committees included the following: Resolutions; Agriculture and Canadian Industries; Historical Research and Current Events; Public Relations and Community Activities; Citizenship and Education; and Home Economics and Health.

The Brooklin WI was active in the regional community over the years: it fundraised for the township hall; donated to the Brooklin library; hosted hobby shows, educational programs, and essay prize programs for children; planted trees; and held health clinics, including one in which children were given tonsil operations. To raise funds, the Brooklin WI delivered radio broadcasts and served at fairs, garden parties, banquets, concerts, and dramas.

Like the Whitby WI, the Brooklin WI appears to have focused on the concerns of white, middle-class, Christian women in the region. The organization's Tweedsmuir histories demonstrate this tendency, centering on the region's white European pioneers and their descendants.

The Brooklin WI disbanded in 1997.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Whitby Women's Institute (1897-1988)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Whitby, Brooklin, and Myrtle Women's Institutes were operative in the Whitby region throughout the twentieth century. Myrtle and Brooklin are distinct communities in the town of Whitby.

Related entity

Myrtle Women's Institute  (1955-1985)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Whitby, Brooklin, and Myrtle Women's Institutes were operative in the Whitby region throughout the twentieth century. Myrtle and Brooklin are distinct communities in the town of Whitby.

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Description created by Gillian Dunks in December 2017.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Ambrose, Linda M. For Home and Country: The Centennial History of the Women's Institutes in Ontario. Guelph, Ontario: Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario, 1996.

Pardy, Maryn, et al. Ontario Women's Insitute Story. Guelph, Ontario: Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario, 1972.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC