Fonds - Brampton Board of Trade fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Brampton Board of Trade fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca. 1900] - 1987 (Creation)
    Creator
    Brampton Board of Trade
    Place
    Brampton

Physical description area

Physical description

33 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1887, 1890 - 1897, 1903 - 1921, 1947 -)

Administrative history

Currently in its fourth incarnation, which began in 1947 as the Brampton Chamber of Commerce, the Brampton Board of Trade is a local chamber of commerce organization. In 1964, its geographic coverage expanded to become the Brampton and District Chamber of Commerce, to serve commercial development in Bramalea, Chinguacousy Township.

Presidents and chairpersons have included many people who would also serve as Brampton Mayor, including Kenneth Chisholm, E. O. Runians, T. W. Duggan, and Franklin W. Wegenast. Presidents represented by fonds at the Region of Peel Archives are Cecil Chinn and Ken Hay, both professional photographers, and Sam Charters, the Brampton Conservator newspaper publisher.

ADMINISTRATIVE OUTLINE:


  • 14 June 1887: First organized meeting of the Brampton Board of Trade
  • 27 Mar. 1890: By-laws for a re-organized Board of Trade adopted
  • 03 Feb. 1904: Reorganization under J.H. Boutler, President
  • 1919: Reorganization ceases operation
  • 20. Nov. 1947: Inaugural meeting of Brampton Chamber of Commerce
  • 1968: Renamed Brampton and District Chamber of Commerce
  • 1969: Renamed Brampton-Chinguacousy Chamber of Commerce
  • 1974: Renamed Brampton Board of Trade

There have been other organizations representing the same audience. There were incarnations of a "Brampton Businessmen's Association" (known 1925-1927, the Globe and Mail, 1942, The Toronto Daily Star).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records created by or maintained by the Brampton Board of Trade. It covers the period from 1909 to 1973, with a few items from the 1980s; there is a gap from 1919 to 1947, when the organization was inactive. Minute books contain director's meeting minutes, treasurer's statements, and annual reports. The fonds also includes scrapbooks, photographs, and certificates.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Brampton Board of Trade, 1987

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions placed on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid is available in the reading room.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area