Title and statement of responsibility area
Beachville Community fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- South-West Oxford Public Utility Commission
- Trustees of the Police Village of Beachville
- Beachville Hydro Electric System
Physical description area
14 bound ledgers
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Settlers first arrived in the Beachville area in the late 1700s and by 1836 the Village of Beachville had been erected, named after Andrew Beach who established the first grist mill and store in the settlement. In 1904, Beachville was established as a Police Village by County of Oxford By-law No. 525. The first election of Trustees was held on Tuesday, January 10 1905 at the Town Hall of the Township of West Oxford situated in the Village of Beachville. The first meeting of Trustee was held Monday, January 16th 1905.
In 1905 County Council received a petition requesting that the area of the Police Village lying within the Township of West Oxford be reduced. In doing so, County Council appointed a committee to try and have the matter between the Council of West Oxford and the residents of the Police Village of Beachville adjusted satisfactorily. On June 9, 1905 County Council By-law No. 535 passed which repealed By-law No. 525.
On January 24, 1096 the County was petitioned by the ratepayers of Beachville praying for the erection of the unincorporated Village of Beachville into a Police Village. County Council granted this requested on January 26, 1906 with the passing of County By-law No. 544. The first election of Trustees was held Monday, February 19, 1906 at the Town Hall in Beachville.
Beachville became an Incorporated Village on January 1, 1962.
Name of creator
Originally throughout Ontario, municipalities were supplying their citizens and industries with power through municipally owned and operated electrical systems such as the Beachville Hydro Electric and Light System. Although electricity was available in 1895, it was not until 1912 that hydro was installed through the Village of Beachville. On June 25th the Board of Trustees of Beachville decided to celebrate the inauguration of Hydro-Electric power. The Methodist Church driving shed was secured for the purpose and a number of exhibits and speeches were enjoyed by over a thousand individuals. The event ended with the street lights being lighted for the first time.
The Beachville Hydro Electric System was eventually replaced with the South-West Oxford Public Utility Commission.
Name of creator
The South-West Oxford Public Utility Commission was formed in the 1980s[?], replacing the Beachville Hydro Electric and Light System. It has since amalgamated with Aylmer PUC, Central Elgin PUC, East Zorra-Tavistock PUC, Ingersoll PUC, Norwich PUC and Zorra Electric Supply Authority to form the Erie Thames Powerlines Corp.
These ledgers were originally produced by the Trustees of the Police Village of Beachville and the Trustees/Members of the Beachville Hydro Electric System and the South-West Oxford Public Utility Commission during the period of 1912-1995. At some point, these records became the possession of Shirley Riddick of Beachville. Upon her death, her estate was donated to the Beachville District Museum, whom in turn, donated these records to the County of Oxford Archives in 2005.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of various materials related to the history of the Community of Beachville and include the following series:
Series 1: Police Village of Beachville
A: Minutes – 1922 – 1955
Series 2: Beachville Hydro Electric System
A: Minutes – 1917-1980
B: Financial – 1912-1960
C: Meter Registers – ca. 1950s – 1983
Series 3: South-West Oxford Public Utility Commission (P.U.C.)
A: Minutes – 1980-1995
Some material requires basic conservation work.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the County of Oxford Archives by the Curator of the Beachville District Museum from the estate of Shirley Riddick, late of Beachville on September 23, 2005.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The fonds is open to publish research. However, please contact the archivist responsible for the records regarding access, as some materials may be too fragile to handle. The Archives will make every effort to supply reference copies where feasible.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright is held by the archives. Researchers are responsible for observing copyright regulations that may apply to the publication of their research. If you wish to publish any of this material, please contact the archivist responsible for the records.
The Archivist has the right to restrict reproduction if the material is in a fragile condition.
An item level description is available for researchers. Please contact Archives Staff for further information.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area