Fonds - Bay View Women’s Institute fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Bay View Women’s Institute fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-1975 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

37.5 cm of textual records and graphic materials ca. 80 photographs: b&w and col. 3 objects

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Bay View Women’s Institute located in Loyalist Township (formerly Ernestown), Lennox and Addington County was founded on June 13, 1913 with Mrs. Thomas (Alice) Miller as the first President. Eleven members attended the first meeting. Bay View disbanded on March 31, 1975 due to low membership and its pool of members being located too close to Kingston. During World War I, Bay View branch was involved in sewing and knitting items for the Red Cross. According to the records, which are incomplete, this branch was responsible for contributing over 200 pairs of socks, 100 pillows, hankies, balaclavas, and night shirts to the war effort. They also supplied wheel chairs and pillows for a military hospital. After the war effort, they supplied materials for a room at Kingston General Hospital. Bay View continued to support the community after World War I through its recovery period. Electricity was paid, a music teacher provided, and a piano donated by the branch for the public school at this time. The branch also helped to purchase a canning outfit for use by the community. Bay View made donations to the Lennox and Addington Swimming and Water Safety Committee, 4-H Club, and Haileybury Fire Fund. They also contributed to the Napanee Fair by hosting teas and displays. For the Women’s Institute organization, the branch made donations to the Erland Lee Home Project and to “Pennies for Friendship”. The branch also contributed beyond their own boundaries to the Cancer Society, Heart and Stroke Foundation, Tractor Fund for Greece, muscular dystrophy, and the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society. In later years, Bay View decided to donate solely to local people and charities. Bay View has two Tweedsmuirs within the fonds, one complete and one partially complete. They include a history of the shoreline after the American Revolution, newspaper articles from 1947-1949 about the settlement of the area, early family histories, local pioneer missions, biographies, histories of buildings and land, and events of interest. A significant section of the complete Tweedsmuir is a history of the region, specifically of Bath Road and of Fairfield House. The completed Tweedsmuir was compiled by Miss Louise Fairfield and Mrs. Mabel Fairfield. The past Women’s Institute Presidents of Bay View were: Mrs. Thomas (Alice) Miller (1913-1915), Mrs. J.B. (Elizabeth) Fairfield (1915-1916), Mrs. J.W. (Phillippa) Baker (1916-1917), Mrs. Chester (Emma) Nicholson (1917-1918; 1923-1925), Mrs. Harvey Amey (1918-1919), Miss Mollie Fairfield (1919-1920), Mrs. G.W. Saundercook (1920-1921), Mrs. Oscar Amey (1921-1922), Mrs. F. (Hattie)Kavaner (1922), Mrs. Walter Frink (1925-1927), Mrs. Fred Compton (1927-1935; 1938-1939), Mrs. Cecil Wemp (1935-1936), Mrs. Beatrice Beckel (1936-1938), Miss Alice Fairfield (1939-1941), Mrs. Andrew (Margaret) Compton (1941-1944), Mrs. Arthur (Hilda) Sams (1944-1945), Mrs. Dora Simpkins (1945-1948; 1974-1975), Mrs. Harold (Olivia) Van Alstyne (1948-1951), Mrs. Murray (Joan) Compton (1951-1954), Mrs. Harry (Eva) Young (1954-1955), Mrs. J.P. (Margaret) McDonough (1955-1959), Miss Louise Fairfield (1959-1962), Mrs. Russell (Mary) Orser (1962-1965; 1971-1974), Mrs. Elizabeth Cumberland (1965-1968), and Miss Mabel Fairfield (1968-1971).

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minute and cash books, a song book, Tweedsmuir History Books, photographs, house histories, membership pins, “Home and Country” stickers, books, and subject files pertaining to the activities of the Bay View Women’s Institute. Fonds is comprised of the following series: Series 1: Minutes Series 2: Tweedsmuir history books Series 3: Publications Series 4: Objects

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The records of the Bay View Women’s Institute were deposited on permanent loan to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives in 1980. Loaned to the Lennox and Addington County Museum and Archives from the Bay View Women’s Institute the following accession numbers: 1983.106.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access. Copyright restrictions may apply. Please see an archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A RAD-compliant finding aid is available

Associated materials

Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox District Women’s Institute fonds Lennox and Addington District Women’s Institute fonds Adolphustown Women’s Institute fonds Amherst Island Women’s Institute fonds Camden East Women’s Institute fonds Cloyne Women’s Institute fonds Croydon Women’s Institute fonds Denbigh Women’s Institute fonds Ernestown Women’s Institute fonds Fernleigh Women’s Institute fonds Hawley Women’s Institute fonds Hay Bay Women’s Institute fonds Maple Leaf Women’s Institute fonds Maple Ridge Women’s Institute fonds Mill Creek Women’s Institute fonds Millhaven Women’s Institute fonds Moscow Women’s Institute fonds Mount Pleasant Pioneer Women’s Institute fonds Napanee Women’s Institute fonds Newburgh Women’s Institute fonds Reidville Women’s Institute fonds Tamworth Women’s Institute fonds Victoria II Women’s Institute fonds Wilton Women’s Institute fonds Yarker-Colebrook Women’s Institute fonds

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area