Title and statement of responsibility area
Bathurst Street United Church (Toronto, Ont.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA ON00340 F1748
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Archives
- Bathurst Street United Church (Toronto, Ont.)
Physical description area
1.83 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Bathurst Street United Church in Toronto was established in 1925; formerly Bathurst Street Methodist Church. It was located at 736 Bathurst Street, at the corner of Lennox Street, just south of Bloor Street West. Since ca.1985, the congregation no longer uses the Bathurst Street building but rather holds its services in the Trinity-St. Paul's United Church building at 427 Bloor Street West.
Bathurst Street Methodist Church was established in 1884 upon the union of Bathurst Street Primitive Methodist Church and Seaton Village Methodist (formerly Wesleyan Methodist) Church (the area north and west of the intersection of Bathurst Street and Bloor Street West was known as Seaton Village at that time). The Primitive Methodist Church was located at the intersection of Bathurst and Lennox Street, just south of Bloor; the Seaton Village Church was located at what is now 643 Markham Street, just north and west of Bathurst and Bloor. After Methodist union in 1884, the Seaton Village building was moved to the site of the Primitive Methodist building at Bathurst and Lennox, and the two buildings were attached. A new church building was dedicated in 1888, with the original building used as a Sunday School until 1910, at which time it was demolished and replaced by another Sunday School building.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records, including baptisms, 1901-2002, marriages, 1898-1917 and 1936-1981, and burials, 1901-1924 and 1936-1976, of Bathurst Street United Church in Toronto (includes Bathurst Street Methodist Church and Zion Methodist Church), 1884-2008; and records of the Bathurst Community Club.
Damages - requires restoration or copying
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-154: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. LCM reels are available through Inter- Library Loan.
Restrictions on access
Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use microfilm where available
Toronto Conference - Metropolitan Toronto - finding aid 289
Uploaded finding aid
Index of baptisms, marriages, and burials before 1925 available in the Reading Room. See publication Trinity-St. Paul's United Church (formerly Methodist and Presbyterian) Toronto, Ontario, Ontario Genealogical Society.