Fonds CONG-370 - Barney's River-Marshy Hope Presbyterian Church (Barney's River, N.S.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Barney's River-Marshy Hope Presbyterian Church (Barney's River, N.S.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-370

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1955, 1979 and microfilmed 1992 (originally created 1857-1980) (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 reel of microfilm 0.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Barney's River-Marshy Hope Presbyterian Church has its origins in the congregations of Barney's River Presbyterian Church (est. c.1817) and Bethel Presbyterian Church, Marshy Hope (est. 1929). A Presbyterian church was built in Barney's River as early as 1817, however, the first settled minister to serve the church was the Rev. Dougald MacKeichan, in 1833. In 1859, this congregation built a new church, which continued to be used until 1954 when it was destroyed by fire. In addition to the "Kirk" congregation, a Free Church congregation was established in Barney's River in 1848, with the Rev. D.B. Blair, from Scotland, being called as minister. He served the Free Church congregation until 1890. In 1896, the "Kirk" congregation and the Free Church congregation amalgamated under the name of Barney's River Presbyterian Church. In 1925, the congregation voted to remain part of The Presbyterian Church in Canada. Bethel Presbyterian Church, Marshy Hope, NS, was established in 1929 by families of the eastern part of the Barney's River Pastoral area that voted against Church Union. A church was built in 1929. In 1985, the congregations in Barney's River and Marshy Hope amalgamated to form Barney's River-Marshy Hope Presbyterian Church.

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the minutes and registers, mostly on microfilm, of Barney's River-Marshy Hope Presbyterian Church in Nova Scotia. The records prior to 1896 are for the "Kirk" congregation. Specifically, the fonds consists of: Baptisms (1857-1975); Marriages (1857-1944, 1946-1975); Burials (1946-1975); Session minutes (1913-1980); Communion Roll (1886-1968); Historic Roll (1967-1986); and a short historical sketch written about the church in 1955. Fonds also includes a brief historical sketch on Bethel Presbyterian Church in Marshy Hope, Nova Scotia, prior to it's amalgamation with the church in Barney's River.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Session minutes are restricted for a period of 50 years from the date they were written.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000B at The Presbyterian Church in Canada Archives.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area