Fonds CONG-367 - Athelstan Presbyterian Church (Quebec) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Athelstan Presbyterian Church (Quebec) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00313 CONG-367

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1952, 1977 and microfilmed 1992 (originally created 1882-1982) (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records 1 reel of microfilm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The congregation of Athelstan Presbyterian Church in Quebec dates from 1835. The original church building, erected in that year, was replaced with a newer building in 1877. From 1954 until 1970, the Athelstan congregation was linked with those in Rockburn and Elgin, while from 1970 until 1983, Athelstan and Elgin were linked with St. Andrew's Church, Huntingdon. On December 31st 1982, the Athelstan and Elgin congregations amalgamated. Since 1983, Athelstan has been linked with St. Andrew's, Huntingdon. The exact date of the establishment of the Elgin congregation is not known, however, it was linked with Athelstan as early as 1861. In 1846, some members of the Athelstan congregation, along with some from the congregation in Huntingdon, split to form a new church as part of the United Presbyterian Church of Canada. This congregation, which became known as the Second Presbyterian Church, Huntingdon, merged with St. Andrew's Church, Huntingdon, on June 7th, 1894.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the following minutes, registers and other records of Athelstan Presbyterian Church in Athelstan Quebec and Elgin Presbyterian Church (some of the records are microfilm copies): Baptisms, Marriages, Burials for Athelstan and Elgin (1882-1938); Session minutes for Athelstan (1882-1938); Joint Session minutes of Athelstan, Elgin and St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Huntingdon, PQ (1980-1982); Communion Roll for Elgin (1963-1981); Board of Managers minutes for Athelstan (1921-1957); Sabbath School Attendance records for Athelstan (1899-1909); 100th Anniversary Order of Service for Athelstan (1977); and two historical sketches about the Athelstan church, written in 1952 and 1977.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Notes Session minutes are restricted for a period of 50 years from the date they were written.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list is available. See FA-4000A at The Presbyterian Church in Canada.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres