Fonds F1613 - Arva - Hyde Park Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Arva - Hyde Park Pastoral Charge (Ont.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA ON00340 F1613

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1996-1997 (Reproduction)
    Reproducer
    United Church of Canada Archives
    Note
    Microfilmed
  • 1870-2011 (Creation)
    Creator
    Arva-Hyde Pastoral Charge (Ont.)

Physical description area

Physical description

2.11 m of textual records
Photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(ca. 1962-1986)

Administrative history

Arva - Hyde Pastoral Charge was formed ca. 1962 when Melrose United Church closed and Arva Park United Church and Hyde Park United Church remained from the Arva - Hyde Park - Melrose Pastoral Charge, which was originally known as the St. John's Pastoral Charge. It closed on January 1, 1986 when Arva and Hyde Park split into two separate charges.

Hyde Park United Church, located at 1560 Hyde Park Road in London (formerly Hyde Park), was established 1925, formerly Methodist and Presbyterian. Both the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Hyde Park were formed in 1875 and built churches in 1876. The two churches joined together to form the United Church of Canada in 1925 and the newly founded congregation used the Presbyterian building. It closed on September 26, 2010 and the congregation amalgamated with Riverside United Church in London.

Arva United Church, located at 14340 Medway Road in Arva, was established in 1925, formerly Methodist. The Methodists first built a church in Arva in 1857.It was part of St. John's Methodist Circuit. It joined the United Church of Canada in 1925. It became a single-point charge in 1986. On June 25, 2017, it amalgamated with Siloam United Church in London to become Siloam United Church at 1240 Fanshawe Road East in London.

Melrose United Church was established in 1925, formerly, Methodist. The Melrose Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1820 in what is now Lobo Township, on Concession 3, Lot 14. The church building was erected sometime between 1820 and 1825. It was damaged by a tornado in 1870. A new church was built in 1872, near the old site. It joined the United Church in 1925. The church disbanded in 1961.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of records, including marriages, 1899-1925, of St. John's Methodist Circuit (includes London South Methodist Circuit, Arva, Hyde Park, Melrose), 1899-1925; Epworth League minutes of Hyde Park Methodist Church, 1894-1899; records of Arva Methodist Church, 1898-1920; records of Melrose Methodist Church, 1900-1925; records, including marriages, 1896-1918, British and Foreign Bible Society Hyde Park Branch (Methodist and Presbyterian) minutes, 1887-1916, of Hyde Park Presbyterian Church, 1875-1925; records, including marriages, 1926-1948, of Arva - Hyde Park Pastoral Charge (includes St. John's Methodist Circuit, St. John's Pastoral Charge, Arva - Hyde Park - Melrose Pastoral Charge, Arva, Hyde Park, Melrose), 1898-1985; records of Hyde Park United Church (includes Hyde Park Presbyterian Church, Hyde Park Methodist Church), 1877-2011; records of Arva United Church (includes Arva Methodist Church), 1870-1967; records of Melrose United Church (includes Melrose Methodist Church), 1880-1948.

Notes area

Physical condition

Damages - requires restoration or copying

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Parts of the textual records are available on microfilm reel(s) LCM-110 and LCM-111: positive and negative; 35mm. For a listing of these records, see the LCR Microfilm Shelf List. Parts of the records are also available on 1 reel of microfilm: positive and negative; 35 mm. LCM reels are available through Inter-Library Loan.

Restrictions on access

Access to baptismal, marriage and burial registers may be restricted according to relevant privacy legislation.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use microfilm where available

Finding aids

London Conference - finding aid 291

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Accession

1977.365L

Accession

1990.174L

Accession

2011.104L

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area