Fonds - Art Group '59 fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Art Group '59 fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1959-1977 (Creation)
    Creator
    Art Group '59
    Place
    Brampton

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1959 - [1977?])

Administrative history

Art Group ’59 was established in 1959, primarily as an organization to jointly pay for art instruction by experienced artists from the area, over two twelve week periods each year. Group exhibits, field trips, and social activities were eventually added. The group limited membership to 24 people at any one time, with enrollment resetting yearly. Artists who did not pay promptly enough could thus be replaced by newer members, although previous members could pay a significantly discounted rate to become an associate member, without voting rights.

Sessions would run for twelve weeks from September to December, and twelve weeks from January to March 1967. An undated newsletter suggests they would meet at that point in a room above Little's Meat Market in the downtown, allocated by Brampton's recreation office. The 1974 to 1975 year was held at Sheridan College; it cost $50 for the year.

The group would also meet less formally on Saturday afternoons in the summer for "sketch trips", as well as arrange larger field trips. Collective group exhibits included at the Brampton Curling Club during the Brampton Flower Festival, Helen Wilson Public School's Arts and Crafts Show, Brampton Public Library (including Brampton Mall branch), Civic Centre in Bramalea, and Brampton Day at the Canadian National Exhibition.

Art Group ’59 was reformatted in 1977, with membership fees reduced from $50 (1975) to $3, but also removing the provision of instruction and supplies. The group would meet Monday evenings at the Peel Museum and Art Gallery, and include a communal critique. Records end at this point.

The group was well known within Brampton for their juried art show at the annual Brampton Flower Festival, which would receive entries from as far away as Stratford, Ontario. In 1969, noted Toronto art dealer Jack Pollock was hired as juror, in a year when entries were predominantly abstract. Pollock is noted for helping launch the careers of artists including David Hockney, Ken Danby, Norval Morrisseau, Susan Ross, Charles Pachter, Robert Bateman, and William de Kooning. The Bramalea Guardian noted this abstraction focus was atypical of the group and its juried show.

Membership included Tom Mathews, a commercial artist from Brampton who, as of 1967, was one of only three Canadians in that field listed in Encyclopedia Britannica; two municipal councillors for Brampton, Irene Biggs and Diane Sutter; Dale O'Hara, perhaps best recognized as the author of "Acres of Glass: the story of the Dale Estate and how Brampton became the Flower Town of Canada" (2007); and Carolyn Smith, a friend of Caroline Armington who helped build the PAMA art gallery's collection of that artist's work, and is responsible for saving much of the archival records of her and her husband, artist Frank Armington.

Custodial history

Records donated by Diane Sutter.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the records of Art Group '59, an unincorporated club with a constitution, operating from 1959 to 1977. Membership was primarily from the traditional boundaries of Brampton, but also areas beyond including Bramalea.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres