Title and statement of responsibility area
Armand Letellier fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Title statements of responsibility
CA ON00093 90/444
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Letellier, Armand
1.05 m of textual records
75 photographs : b&w ; 25.5 x 20.5 cm or smaller
8 photographs : col. ; 25.5 x 20.5 cm or smaller
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Colonel Joseph Oscar Armand Letellier (1913-2003) served with the Canadian Army during the Second World War and was appointed Director of National Defence Headquarters (NHDQ) in 1966. He received his Commission in the Regiment of Hull in 1934, and obtained a B.A. at the University of Ottawa. In 1939 he joined the active service and served at First Army Headquarters, in North-West Europe. Upon his return to Canada, after the war, he was initiated to bureaucracy in the Defence Secretary's Office, at NDHQ. After serving in Germany with the 27th Infantry Brigade, in 1952-1953, he returned to NDHQ. He was again in the Federal Republic of Germany, as Commandant of the Third Battalion of the Royal 22e Régiment. In 1959 he returned to Ottawa where he was appointed under-director of the Infantry. Promoted to Colonel in 1962, he was sent to the Canadian Army Staff College, in Kingston, where he acted as the Deputy Commandant. In 1966, he was appointed Director of the NDHQ Organization. General J.V. Allard called upon him to put together the Bilingualism Secretariat which was charged with the establishment of the policy for the linguistic reform in the Department of National Defence. He held this office for six months, retiring in 1968. After a long stay in Kingston, Colonel Letellier and his family spent one year at Grenoble University (France). On his return to Ottawa, he was recalled by General J.A. Dextraze, who was appointed Chief of Defence Staff. Letellier occupied many different positions as a civilian in NDHQ between 1971 and 1977. He died on 19 January 2003.
Bereik en inhoud
Fonds consists of material documenting Letellier's work and career. Includes correspondence, minutes, memoranda, reports, transcripts and working papers. Also includes English and French copies of the manuscript of "DND Language Reform: Staffing the bilingualism programs, 1967-1977"(1987). Documents are regrouped chronologically by subject group. Also contains two photo albums consisting of photographs, newspaper clippings and certificates documenting Armand Letellier's career in the Canadian Army during 1942-1960.
Directe bron van verwerving
Files 54 and 55 were donated by Mrs. Armand Letellier on 16 June 2003. The provenance of files 1 to 53 is unknown.
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Some files are classified; these are indicated in the finding aid.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Copies of the finding aid are located in the first file of the fonds and in the Reading Room at the Directorate of History and Heritage. Electronic copies are also available.
The following related material regarding Armand Letellier can be found in the Document Collection:
82/62/3: Letellier, J.O.A., Colonel. QGDN. Service historique, 18 décembre 1981. Mon passage au Secrétariat bilingue du MDN, septembre 1967-juillet 1968. (Classified)
84/252: Letellier, J.O.A., Colonel. QGDN. Service historique, 1er juin 1982. Entrevue avec M. Cadieux au sujet du Général Allard et du bilinguisme.
Further accruals are not expected.
The following book written by Armand Letellier is held in the Directorate of History and Heritage Library: “DND Language Reform: Staffing the bilingualism programs, 1967-1977” 1987 (FC 145 B56 L47 1987).
This is a bilingual fonds.