Fonds - Archives of Ontario - Ministry of Natural Resources fonds, RG 1-470

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Archives of Ontario - Ministry of Natural Resources fonds, RG 1-470

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document cartographique

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1793-1844 (Production)
    Producteur
    Office of the Surveyor General for Upper Canada

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

33 maps

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1792-1845)

Histoire administrative

The Office of the Surveyor General for Upper Canada descended from the earlier position of Surveyor General for the Province of Quebec; with the passing of the Constitutional Act of 1791, this structure was kept for the provinces of Upper and Lower Canada. The Surveyor General was responsible for surveying, maintaining, and selling Crown lands in the province (via land grants and leases), and would report to the Lieutenant-Governor and the Legislative Assembly. David William Smith was appointed at the first Surveyor General of Upper Canada in 1792, although surveying work had been done prior to this.

The physical act of surveying was a difficult one, and required a team of around eight to ten men per surveyor, including two chain bearers (used to determine measurements) and axemen to clear paths. The surveyors were required to keep both diaries and field books outlining their operations, and taking note of characteristics such as vegetation, soil type, topography, and the suitability of the land for agriculture. Upon the completion of a survey, the notes and other records were handed to the Office of the Surveyor General, where draftsmen or surveyors would assemble finished plans based on the material. The maps created by this office established a visual standard, including the use of coloured inks for specific areas (red ink for Crown reserves; black ink for Clergy reserves; blue for water; yellow-green for swamps) and the units of measurement.

Around 1827, the Surveyor General position was slowly superseded by the newly-created office of Commissioner for Crown Lands, and by 1845 the Surveyor General’s Office was fully integrated into the Department of Crown Lands. From that point on, surveying duties were done under a new branch, the Surveying Department of Canada West.

Historique de la conservation

The Elgin County Archives is proud to participate in the Archives of Ontario's Digitization Loan Program, whereby qualifying archival institutions are granted permission to borrow and digitize original Archives of Ontario records and, under license, to publish and host the resulting digital archives online. The Elgin County Archives has now completed a project to digitize and publish online both the Archives of Ontario's Thomas Talbot fonds, F 501, and the Ministry of Natural Resources fonds, RG 1-470.

Portée et contenu

The Ministry of Natural Resources fonds consists of 33 large-scale plans (registered 1793-1844; incorporating annotations dating up to 1981) created by the Surveyor General’s Office documenting 23 townships along the north shore of Lake Erie. The plans show lot and concession numbers, major roads, First Nations settlements, mills, creeks, swamps, and local geographic information. Many maps contain an assortment of notes on specific geographic features and have settler names written in; others are blank. The maps were frequently used as working documents, and bear revisions and annotations dating years after their apparent creation.

Seven maps lack any sort of date; in these cases, the Archives of Ontario’s estimation has been used. In other cases, a map bears dates of annotation but no written date of registration; in these cases the date range of the annotations has been used as an approximate date.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Archives of Ontario - Ministry of Natural Resources fonds, RG 1-470

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Open

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

The records digitized and made accessible through this program remain the exclusive property of the Archives of Ontario. Use of these records is for research and private study only. Requests for reproduction of the records must be directed to the Archives of Ontario: reference@ontario.ca

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Document d'accompagnement

Due to their similarities in geography, scope, and time frame, the Archives of Ontario’s Thomas Talbot fonds and the Ministry of Natural Resources fonds have been published together as the Talbot Settlement and Survey Maps.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés